My Movie Year – 2009

Andy over at Fandango Groovers puts together some really great blogathons every once in a while, and his latest is titled “My Movie Year“. I am a week late to the party, but I had to join in after seeing the great posts scattered around the blogging community. The concept is simple: select your favorite movie year and back it up with five movies to support your claim.

Now, this is actually quite the difficult question, and it has raised some interesting debates across the internet. Examples from critics include 1939, 1959, 1962, 1994 and 1999. All worthy choices, but I opted to go for a more personal route: the year 2009.

This was the year that I absolutely fell in love with film. Now, I had always enjoyed watching movies but it wasn’t until 2009 that I opened up and began indulging in anything and everything film-related. This was also my first full year living in Chicago, and there was a very cheap video store right around the corner from my first apartment in the city. Between that and Netflix, I had access to all sorts of great DVDs.

While 2009 may not be the *greatest* movie year ever, it was still a good one, and I have fond memories of many of its releases. Here are my top five, followed by some honorable mentions:

Crazy Heart
Crazy Heart

District 9
District 9

Inglourious Basterds
Inglourious Basterds

Up in the Air
Up in the Air

Zombieland
Zombieland

Honorable mentions: (500) Days of Summer, An Education, A Serious Man, Away We Go, Best Worst Movie, Black Dynamite, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Sin Nombre, Watchmen

What is your favorite movie from 2009? Do you have any interesting movie-going memories from that year?

For a full list of participants in this blogathon, head over to Fandango Groovers.

37 thoughts on “My Movie Year – 2009

1. Pete says:

Great pick of year and list of films! Loved four out of five and just haven’t seen Crazy Heart yet. Another one for me to check out. My faves are District 9 and Inglourious Basterds but also loved 500 Days of Summer and a lot of Black Dynamite!

Thanks Pete! I was surprised with how much I liked Crazy Heart, especially considering I generally dislike country music. Glad to know you are a fan of Black Dynamite as well!

Hey, better late than never man! Oh I love three of the movies you mentioned, D-9, ‘Basterds’ and Up in the Air. I especially love D-9 and can’t wait for the sequel! I haven’t seen the other two, but I know my hubby really enjoyed Zombieland. Great list, man!

3. John says:

I haven’t seen Up in the Air, but all of those others are great choices. And I’m really glad to see that you mentioned Best Worst Movie. I wouldn’t have thought of it right away, but it’s really great.

4. gotounknown says:

One of my favs from this year (except above mentioned District 9) is the Argentine movie El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret in Their Eyes). It has a very good story, great actors and high level of suspense, tension and emotions! You should watch it :)

5. Dan says:

2009 was indeed a great year. Inglorious Basterds and Distric 9 certainly stick out in my memory. I also really enjoyed your honorable mentions – particularly An Education and 500 Days of Summer.

That’s a really great mix of different genres you’ve picked out. A big fan of District 9 and (500) Days of Summer. Zombieland was a brilliant little flick too! 2009 wasn’t a bad year at all.

I’m still in shock over there being a District 9 sequel in the works and not knowing about it. Also, as much as I loved Zombieland, I’m not sure a sequel is necessary (apparently that’s planned as well). Nothing can top that Bill Murray cameo.

7. Olivia says:

2009 definitely was not bad at all. Up in the Air is definitely one of my favorites from that year, and probably the best movie that came out that year, in my opinion. In other genres though I also LOVE Star Trek. I thought JJ Abrams made probably one of the best like group action sci fi movies ever. It’s well shot, the music is awesome, the acting is good, and it had a great mix of comedy, drama, and action. I’ve watched it probably over 30 times, and it never gets old. I also loved A Single Man…Colin Firth gave one of the most moving performances I’ve ever seen.

Confession time: I have never seen Star Trek. I actually have the DVD sitting on my shelf but just haven’t got around to it. Sounds like I need to change that ASAP.

I also liked A Single Man, but as far as “A ___ Man” movies go, I prefer A Serious Man. :D

Better late than never taking part! 2009 seems like a popular choice, my friend at inspired ground also picked that year.
    Zombieland looks fun from the trailer! I also haven’t seen Fantastic Mr. Fox yet, I loved Roald Dahl’s books as a kid, I’m apprehensive the movie could mess with my childhood memories ( :

I’ll have to check out that other 2009 list. I don’t think Fantastic Mr. Fox will mess up your childhood memories at all — it really is a fun little film. I also highly recommend Zombieland if you’re in the mood for a great horror/comedy.