Poll Results: Most Anticipated Early 2013 Film (Jan-Mar)

Let’s hope this one does not disappoint:

Gangster Squad

– Gangster Squad: 11 votes
– John Dies at the End: 6 votes
– A Good Day to Die Hard: 3 votes
– Beautiful Creatures: 2 votes
– The Last Stand: 2 votes
– Broken City: 1 vote
– Carrie: 1 vote (got pushed back to October)
– G.I. Joe: Retaliation: 1 vote
– Hansel and Gretel: 1 vote
– Jack the Giant Slayer: 1 vote
– Movie 43: 1 vote

The write-ins:
The Place Beyond the Pines: 2 votes (I really should have included this!)
The Great and Powerful Oz: 1 vote (can’t believe I forgot this either)
Mama: 1 vote (could be a winner thanks to Jessica Chastain)
Warm Bodies: 1 vote (a “romantic zombie comedy” — interesting)

Not surprised that Gangster Squad won — just look at that cast. Early reviews seem to be mixed so far, but I can’t imagine this being worse than most of the stuff we get in the early months. Great to see so much interest in John Dies at the End, which is apparently available on demand right now. Anyone seen it yet?

This Week’s Poll: The new poll is a reader request, and it couldn’t come at a better time now that Les Misérables is riding a wave of Oscar buzz. What do you think is the best stage-to-film musical adaptation? I’m allowing for two votes since there have been quite a few over the years.

Have a great week everyone!

13 thoughts on “Poll Results: Most Anticipated Early 2013 Film (Jan-Mar)

1. The Heretic says:

Definitely want to see “John Dies At The End”, I also saw a trailer for a movie called “Struck By Lightning” and another for once called “The Baytown Outlaws”. The second film looks pretty intense.

2. Castor says:

I guess Gangster Squad wins by default. I’m not really excited about any of these releases. I guess I would cheat and say Zero Dark Thirty since it’s finally going wide this weekend :D

As far as best musical, I really haven’t seen enough to answer. I just saw Les Miserables which I thought was pretty good but not amazing

Yeah, pretty much slim pickings in the last poll. As for this one, I’m not much of a musical fan, but I was surprised at how many great films I stumbled upon while researching it. Can’t say I enjoyed Les Miserables much though. :(

Apparently, I’ve not seen many stage-to-film musicals. Grease is a good ol’ classic for me in this category, so went for that and the only other one I’ve seen – Dreamgirls. Surprisingly good.

You know, Grease really is good fun. I saw it for the first time at a “movies in the park” event and had a blast. Haven’t seen Dreamgirls but have heard good things.

I’m not the right one to judge, I’ve tried a few musicals, but they’re not really my thing. I might watch the new Les Mis out of curiosity.

Yeah, I hear ya. There haven’t been many musicals I fell in love with. I saw Les Miserables over the weekend and it was not an enjoyable experience at all. Trying to decide if I want to bother reviewing it.

5. Jeff D. says:

I am going to go to an underdog on the next poll. Repo the Genetic opera, love the film and it did originally start as a stage production. So unique and its a lot of fun.

• Jeff D. says:

I really recommend it, while its not for everyone its just a work of originality that I personally recommend to anyone who thinks horror/darker cinema is growing stale.