Blog Meme: My Video Game Alphabet

A few months ago there was a meme making its way around the film blogging circle titled My Cinematic Alphabet. The concept was simple: select your favorite movie for every letter of the alphabet. While I am still working on my own cinematic alphabet, I thought it would be fun to do a video game version. Such a simple exercise brought back some great memories, much like my list of video games I just can’t quit. This is a collection of some of my favorite games, both old and new. If you’re interested at all, I would love to see the lists of others. Let me know if you make your own edition!

Aladdin [Sega Genesis]

X is for Xenogears –

You Don't Know Jack
Y is for You Don’t Know Jack –

Zone of the Enders
Z is for Zone of the Enders –

12 thoughts on “Blog Meme: My Video Game Alphabet

Haha yeah, I had to do some digging to remember some of the older games like Jazz Jackrabbit and Kid Chameleon. The downside to doing this — it made me realize that there are still a ton of games that I need to play. Ahhh…

1. Sam says:

Aladdin on the Megadrive (?). Retro gaming heaven. Seem to remember some sort of faux-horror game with Donald Duck as the main character that I used to play a lot too. Ah, the memories! Elder Scrolls was brilliant until the point where you had to do about eight gates, basically THE EXACT SAME DAMN MISSION, numerous times over.

Yeah, I have fond memories of Aladdin on the Genesis. The SNES version was pretty good, too, although I always found it odd that the two versions were completely different.

Not sure what Donald Duck game you are thinking of, but that just reminded me of Quackshot which I had forgotten all about. It was a Genesis/Mega Drive game that had a bunch of Indiana Jones references. It was quite fun, I remember playing it a lot back in the day.

I hear ya about Oblivion. I loved the hell out of the first 80-90% of the game, but then it started to get repetitive. By the time I finished the Shivering Isles expansion (for completion’s sake), I was exhausted. Still had a great time overall and definitely put in a lot of hours playing it.

Awesome! I still need to get around to the Borderlands DLC that I picked up a few months ago. I think I got sidetracked after I finished the campaign and never picked it back up. Such a great game though…

I will check out your list now, glad to see you joined in.

2. Brian "Sandman" Hall says:

Is it just me, or can you never go wrong with some Castlevania and Dr. Mario? Going to have to take a crack at this myself…and maybe that cinema one as well someday, if even for my own amusement.

You’re right, man. I’m sure there are a few clunkers out there, but I have yet to play a bad Castlevania game myself. I love the DS trilogy especially.

Looking forward to seeing your version.

3. Philip says:

I love this man, especially your list. Heavy Rain was such a great game last year! And thank you for following Natural Blog of X!