Movies Watched [August 2011]

I loaded up on classics this month, thanks in part to the Noir City film festival and my 50 Movies Project. Reviews/writeups are forthcoming for several of these. In a nutshell, I enjoyed all of these except for No Strings Attached, which was even worse than I ever could have imagined.

In order of viewing (number represents year overall total, not this month):

122) The Hustler [1961]

138) No Strings Attached [2011]
No Strings Attached [2011]

139) 30 Minutes or Less [2011]
30 Minutes or Less [2011]

21 thoughts on “Movies Watched [August 2011]

1. Gary Smith says:

Of this list, I have only seen Speed. Good movie.

I’ll check out Our Idiot Brother once it comes to HBO or Starz. Or I’ll probably just buy the DVD since I’m a nut for Zooey.

Speed is a blast, no doubt. I caught a midnight showing of it last month, and it was a lot of fun. There’s nothing like a large audience cheering when the bus made that 50 foot jump, heh.

Our Idiot Brother is worth checking out, and I hear ya about Zooey. Love that girl.

2. wittyjules says:

This is a pretty vast list. Impressive. If you want to see Ms. Portman redeem herself, I recommend ‘The Darjeerling Limited’, but she only appears in the first part, titled, The Hotel Chavalier. It’s an excellent flick and she does a great job in the (slightly more than) cameo.
    Also, for anime, ‘The Ghost In The Shell’ and ‘Akira’ are both insane.

Good call on the Darjeeling Limited. I saw that a couple years ago and had no idea she was in it beforehand. I may need to watch it again someday, as I don’t remember too much about it, unfortunately.

I have heard a lot of great things about the anime flicks you mentioned. Definitely going to have to check them out. Thanks for the recommendations!

3. embonbon says:

I am not a big fan of my home country, neither do I feel like I am from here at all.. but I feel a bit obligated to tip you about some Norwegian movies..
    You have probably heard of the girl with the dragon tattoo? well if not you should check out those movies.. if not theres a second world war movie called Max Manus which was pretty big
    or another one that just recently came out called Hodejegerne(headhunters).. where my best friend is actually playing a russian prostitute hah
    just want to thank you for posting all these good movies as most of them i had never heard of before, but they were pretty good
    i love old movies!

Hey, thanks for the recommendations! I have seen the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy already, which I really enjoyed. I haven’t heard of the other two you recommended, but I will definitely check them out. That’s really cool about your friend, by the way.

4. TheThinkingBot says:

I recently watched ‘Tangled’. Expected it to be just ‘another’ Disney princess movie, but was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was. It had a slight contemporary twist to the classic princess stories Disney usually fork out. Needless to say, it was MUCH better than Disney’s other recent princess movie ‘The Princess and the Frog’.
    ‘Tales from Earthsea’ is not one of Ghibli’s best films. Frankly, it may well be the worst. It took a lot of effort on my part to persevere through the entire movie, but I did. And I commend you for doing so too.

I agree on both accounts. Tangled was better than expected, and Tales From Earthsea was pretty much a dud. Haven’t seen the Princess and the Frog, and I don’t really have any desire to. Sounds like we are on the same page. Thanks for the comment!