Top 10 Films From 2011

While working on my top ten list for 2010, I opted to wait longer than most to post my final results. My plan was to catch up on films I missed at the tail end of the year, so I didn’t actually post my list until March 16. I am not doing that this year. There are just too many movies that came out in the final quarter of 2011 that I missed out on, and I would rather not wait until they are out on DVD to compile a top ten.

This top ten list is for 2011 movies that I saw during that calendar year. There are noticeable exclusions that I simply have not seen yet (The Artist, Take Shelter, Tree of Life, to name a few), so I may amend this list in the next few months to include those that I missed last year. I am in full-on list-making mode right now, so here is my preliminary list of the Top 10 Films From 2011:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo [2011]

10) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Perhaps an unnecessary remake, but Fincher’s adaptation is engrossing and features powerful performances from Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara.

The Ides of March [2011]
9) The Ides of March

Star-studded film that wonderfully shows the backstabbing and selfish nature of politics.

I Saw the Devil [2010]
8) I Saw the Devil

Brutal, disgusting and unbelievably violent; in a nutshell, another badass Korean revenge thriller.

Attack the Block [2011]
7) Attack the Block

One of this year’s most entertaining movies, even if subtitles are almost a requirement to understand it.

13 Assassins [2010]
6) 13 Assassins

Miike’s samurai homage has one of the most unforgettable and epic battle scenes I have ever seen.

Shame [2011]
5) Shame

Not an easy watch by any means, but this is a fascinating portrayal of the depths of an intense sexual addiction.

Hugo 3D [2011]
4) Hugo

Not your typical family flick, this one is a real treat for film lovers, especially when seen in 3D (ironically enough).

Moneyball [2011]
3) Moneyball

A faithful adaptation of a terrific sports book, this is a baseball movie that can be appreciated even by non-fans.

50/50 [2011]
2) 50/50

The biggest surprise of the year, a cancer film that is equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking.

Drive [2011]
1) Drive

Could there be anything else at #1? Drive is stylish, cuts out unnecessary dialogue, utilizes a killer soundtrack to perfection, and boasts a stellar cast. All the makings of a best movie of the year.

Honorable mentions: Win Win, Bridesmaids, Beginners, The Adjustment Bureau, The Descendants

So, dear readers, what are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with any of these selections? What were your favorite movies from 2011?

31 thoughts on “Top 10 Films From 2011

1. Pete says:

Great to see ATB and 50/50 in there. Still quite a few I need to see on there (including Drive). I’ll be doing what you did last year and waiting till I catch quite a few more before attempting my own list!

I think that’s a pretty sound idea. I was just feeling too impatient this year. 😀

Glad to hear you enjoyed ATB and 50/50. I am looking forward to your list!

2. rtm says:

There are a few I haven’t seen yet here but I love Hugo and 50/50. I know my pal Ted puts 13 Assassins on his top 5 on his guest post, though I doubt I’ll be seeing that film.

3. pgcooper1939 says:

Great list man, some awesome flicks hear. I dug Drive, 50/50, Hugo, The Ides of March, and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I was disappointed in Moneyball, and the rest I haven’t seen.

As much as I always hate seeing people say things like, “Check mine out,” but my list has a lot of these films too.

4. Castor says:

Nice top 10 Eric. I see the fall trifecta of 50/50, Drive and Moneyball in the top 3. It certainly was a bit uncommon to get movies of such quality in September and October. Also glad to see I Saw the Devil which I had on my list. I liked 13 Assassins but thought most of the characters were a bit too forgettable to make it truly great.

Thanks, Castor! It is a bit of a surprise that the fall had the best movies last year, in my opinion. But then again, I missed out on a bunch of the late arrivals like The Artist, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, A Dangerous Method, etc.

It was a good year for film, anyway.

5. Marshall says:

I’m glad to see “50/50” getting some recognition. I’m hoping it makes the Oscars for Best Original Screenplay, and I’d love (although there’s no chance) for Joseph Gordon-Levitt to get a Best Actor nomination. The man is seriously underrated and overdue.

6. Novroz says:

Nice list.I haven’t seen all of them but I have 13 assassins ready to be watched.
    Drive seems to be everyone”s favorite in 2011. I didn’t watch much 2011 movies

Thanks Novroz, and welcome to the Warning Sign! I am very happy to see Drive getting a lot of love in the blogging world — it really is an incredible film.