Last year’s 50 Movies Project was a roaring success, and my initial post even made it to the Freshly Pressed section of WordPress.com. I made the mistake, however, of neglecting the project during its initial stages and ended up doing a mad dash to the finish line during the last few months. While I watched a lot of excellent films, the project pretty much consumed my life near the end of the year.
After learning from my experience, I have decided to do another movie project with some revisions in mind. This time around I will watch 25 movies with an increased emphasis on major figures that I am not entirely familiar with. While the initial project helped me greatly in many different ways, it showed me that I still have A LOT to see and learn about. I am sure that I will never be fully satisfied, but marathons such as these certainly help stay focused on my goal to indulge on all things cinema.
For the second edition of the Movie Project, I would like to get some thoughts from YOU, my loyal readers. I have a rough set of ideas already in place, but further input would be much appreciated. Please let me know if you have any suggestions/improvements to this outline. Thanks!
1) A film by John Waters
– I am leaning toward Pink Flamingos, as it seems to be his most renowned work. Plus it is playing at a local theater next month, which should be fun.
2) A film by Fritz Lang
– M, Metropolis, or something else?
3) A film by Jim Jarmusch
– I have seen most of Coffee & Cigarettes, but I’m not sure where to go after that. Ghost Dog? Broken Flowers? Stranger Than Paradise?
4) A film by John Cassavetes
– I keep hearing great things about Shadows. Is there a better starting point?
5) A film by Sam Peckinpah
– The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs seem to get the most love…
6) A film by Pedro Almodóvar
– I would like to see The Skin I Live In, but is there a better film to start with?
7) Early work from David Cronenberg
– I have seen A History of Violence and Eastern Promises, but I want to see some of his early films. Perhaps The Fly?
8) An early film from Werner Herzog
– I should watch Aguirre: The Wrath of God at some point.
9) Another film from Billy Wilder
– I loved Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity and really want to see more from Wilder. I am sure I will see more than one this year, but for the sake of the project I am leaning toward Some Like It Hot or The Apartment.
10) A James Bond film
– Can you believe I have never seen a Bond movie? I hear Casino Royale is the best, so I will probably start there unless there is a better recommendation.
11) A film starring Rita Hayworth
– I need to see for myself what Jack White obsesses over. Gilda or The Lady Shanghai seem like great choices.
Here are some other movies that have caught my eye, all of which I am eager to see:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Blues Brothers
Singin’ in the Rain
The Bourne Identity
The Lives of Others
All About Eve
On the Waterfront
Into the Wild
Enter the Dragon
The Truman Show
So what do you guys think? What movies should I absolutely include? I will cut this down to 25 titles later this week and post my final list shortly after. Thanks for any help you can provide!