Poll results: Biggest Oscar Snub

This year’s Oscar nominations caused a huge uproar in the film world, and once again people spent more time discussing the snubs rather than the actual nominees. The awards are pretty much a running joke now, but it’s still fun to pick through the nominees and see what should be changed. There were quite a few major omissions, and this week’s poll results really show this.

Drive [2011]

– Drive for Best Picture: 6 votes
– Michael Fassbender for Best Actor: 4 votes
– 50/50 for Best Original Screenplay: 4 votes
– Albert Brooks for Best Supporting Actor: 1 vote
– Shame for anything: 1 vote
– Michael Shannon for Best Actor: 1 vote
– Tilda Swinton for Best Actress: 1 vote
– Other: The Interrupters for Best Documentary: 1 vote

Can’t say I am surprised by the winner. The lack of respect for Drive is especially disappointing, considering that it made many critic’s top ten list last year. Nice to see a write-in for The Interrupters, a documentary that I am very excited to see.

What do you guys think? What was YOUR biggest Oscar snub?

36 thoughts on “Poll results: Biggest Oscar Snub

1. le0pard13 says:

Besides the lack of respect for ‘Drive’, my consistent peeve has been the omission of Alan Rickman for Supporting Actor and his work in the final Harry Potter film. I think it unbelievable. I’m not convinced Jonah Hill was more deserving for a nom than Rickman (or Albert Brooks).

2. Fogsmoviereviews says:

Yup.

I think Im the guy who voted Albert Brooks.

But its all tied in to the overall “Drive” snubbage…

It’s ok, it’s not Oscar baity enough to have won anyways, and more likely than not its the Artists year.

Yeah, at least Drive got one nomination, I guess. Poor Shame didn’t get anything. Eh, whatever, we don’t need the Academy’s approval anyway! 😀

3. Castor says:

Drive was a snub but it’s not surprising. The movie really didn’t do too well at the box office and was too violent for the old geezers of the Academy.

4. chandlerswainreviews says:

Look at it this way. It’s not a snub, but it’s a matter of a film like “Drive” which everyone presumes deserving, joining the esteemed company of great films from the past that were equally denied: “A Night to Remember”, “The Searchers”, “Frankenstein”, “The Great Escape”, “Miller’s Crossing”…too many to mention. I’d rather be in their distinguished company than that of “Terms of Endearment”, “Crash” or “Driving Miss Daisy”.

That’s a great way to look at it. I’m still bitter about having to hear “Best Picture Winner” and “Crash” in the same sentence. Such a joke.

Welcome to The Warning Sign, by the way! Hope to see you around.

5. Dave Enkosky says:

Wholeheartedly agree with this list. I think my friends are probably sick by now of my constantly singing the praises of Drive, but it was by far my favorite movie of last year. And how could they not at least nominate Brooks.

Haha I am in the same boat — I can’t shut up about Drive. And yeah, I figured Brooks was a lock. I guess they just didn’t want to give any props to anyone involved with the movie. Too bad.

6. 3guys1movie says:

Drive is my snub of the year. I thought it would get a best picture nod and Albert Brooks would get best supporting. Michael Shannon not getting a best actor nod and Shailene Woodley not get a best supporting actress were also terrible omissions.

I haven’t seen Take Shelter yet, unfortunately, but I know a lot of people were upset Michael Shannon didn’t get nominated for his performance in that. I agree about Shailene Woodley — she was a very bright spot in an otherwise overrated The Descendants.

7. pgcooper1939 says:

I think this year really shows how out of touch the Oscars are with film fans. The film fans of the world are championing Drive, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Shame, Harry Potter, etc. What do they nominate? Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and War Horse.

8. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

I’m especially disappointed by the omission of “Drive” and that of Michael Fassbender in “Shame” which was, by and large, the best regarded acting performance, just shy of that by Dujardin, of the year.

The Academy, to me, has been a bit better as of late, picking unquestionably good films for the top honors, although not always the best in each category. It’s still more respected and “selective” than the Grammys, just to give an example. At least the Academy has gotten more right than how they performed in the 1990s.

Niels

True, but the fact that they rely so heavily on “safe” choices is incredibly frustrating. A little diversity in the Academy’s demographics would really help shake things up. Maybe then Drive or Shame would get some proper respect.

9. The Focused Filmographer says:

I don’t disagree with a lot of the mentioned snubs here. Every year we have to put up with them. While not every film can be nominated, some films that receive noms leave you scratching your head (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, etc).

It’ll all be over this Sunday. We’ll see. Any bold predictions?

Yep, it’s not surprising to see snubs, but when lesser films are selected instead, it’s disappointing.

No bold predictions here. The Artist should clean up, though I wouldn’t be too surprised if something like The Help were to pull off Best Picture. I hope that isn’t the case, though.

Good thing the LAMB has the LION awards, so we get to air our displease of the oscar noms.
    “The Skin I Live in” and “Young Adult” I’d also through into this conversation.
    I agree with the results in your post, those films were robbed of academy recognition.

Yeah, the LAMB’s awards are a great alternative to the Oscars for us bloggers. I still need to see The Skin I Live In and Young Adult myself, but I have heard good things about both.