Poll Results: Best Darren Aronofsky Film

I am a huge fan of Darren Aronofsky. While his filmography is rather brief, the man has delivered the goods on multiple occasions. From his paranoid 1998 debut Pi all the way to 2010’s dark look at ballet, Black Swan, Aronofsky has made movies that are just hard to shake from your psyche. I don’t know if there is a better director for depicting self destruction, period. It says a lot that every one of his movies received a vote, but I must admit that I am a little surprised by the winner:

Black Swan [2010]

– Black Swan: 9 votes
– Pi: 4 votes
– The Wrestler: 3 votes
– The Fountain: 2 votes
– Requiem for a Dream: 1 vote

I was expecting the results to come down to The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream, but the latter only received one vote! Wow. Definitely a lot of Black Swan supporters out there, and how about Pi finishing second? Nice voting guys, this was a bit of a surprise!

Make sure to vote in this week’s poll on the right side of the page!

36 thoughts on “Poll Results: Best Darren Aronofsky Film

1. Pete says:

Same I missed this, would have definitey voted for RFAD. One of my favourite movies of all time and easily my fave of Aronofsky’s. Black Swan is actually my least favourite.

2. Gary Smith says:

Boo! I haven’t seen Pi, but of the other ones The Wrestler was easily my pick (and not just because I’m a wrestling fan). Shame that only two others voted for it. I like Portman, and Kunis, but Black Swan really sucked when I saw it on Starz (or maybe Cinemax) compared to all the great things I had heard about it.

Ah, too bad about Black Swan. I thought it was one of the best movies that year. I will agree with you about The Wrestler, though. That is one damn good movie, and Mickey Rourke was robbed of the Oscar for his performance.

I’ve only seen 2 Aronofsky films, so decided not to vote in this one. Though, had I voted, I’d have gone for Black Swan. Even though it could be seen as almost the same film as The Wrestler, there’s something magical about Black Swan which I adore. Along with a stellar performance from Natalie Portman.

No worries, Jaina. I don’t think you can really go wrong with anything from Aronofsky, though a lot of people don’t like The Fountain. But yeah, Natalie Portman was on top of her game in Black Swan. What a performance.

4. le0pard13 says:

I’m surprised, as well. But then again, ‘Requiem for a Dream’ is so singularly devastating a film. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great no doubt. But, I think repeat screenings aren’t happily scheduled for that one. I missed voting on this and probably would have gone with ‘The Wrestler’. Aronofsky is very talented filmmaker, alright.

Totally agree about Requiem. It is so good, but man, it can be hard to watch. Definitely have to be in the right mood for that one (or anything from Aronofsky, come to think of it).

5. Logan Burd says:

I’m not very surprised, I would have ordered them Black Swan, Pi, The Wrestler, Requiem, and The Fountain. I can’t believe The Fountain beat anything, I was not a fan. But I love Darren Aronofsky, and seeing every feature film he has ever been a part of makes me a happy person lol.

The Fountain seems to be a polarizing film, but its supporters are very vocal. I figured it would get some votes. But yeah, it does feel good to see a director’s entire filmography. 😀

6. Castor says:

I’m not surprised that Black Swan won. It was his most popular film from a mainstream standpoint and it’s the most recent. I would say The Fountain would come second for me.

Yeah, I could see that. Black Swan is still fresh in everyone’s minds, and it did get a lot of positive support after its release. I still prefer The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream, but they are all terrific.

7. Max says:

I must’ve missed this poll. It’s a tossup between Requiem and Black Swan for me. While the acting in ‘The Wrestler’ is fantastic, I just don’t love the film as much.

I may be a little biased because I grew up watching pro wrestling, but I was amazed at how well Aronofsky captured the essence of a broken down star. The tale of The Wrestler is eerily similar to so many of my childhood favorites. So sad.

• Max says:

I watched WWE (WWF) until I was 16. I actually just bought a DVD of Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels. I do love wrestling that much as well, but maybe that’s why it bothered me instead.

That’s actually about the time that I stopped watching wrestling, too. I was a big fan as a kid but then for whatever reason I just stopped tuning in sometime during high school.

8. John says:

Ah, I missed out, but Black Swan would’ve had my vote. I need to give Pi a re-watch. Requiem is very good, and so is The Wrestler. I really went nuts for Black Swan, basically an arthouse horror version of The Red Shoes. The only Aronofsky I haven’t liked was The Fountain.

I need to see The Red Shoes. I kept hearing comparisons to it right after Black Swan was released but never had the chance to check it out.

9. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

I’ve watched all of the ones that received votes but I missed this one.

My vote would have gone for Requiem for a Dream, although Pi left a lasting impression on me for its intensity and disturbing imagery.
    Immediately after these I would place Black Swan and lastly The Wrestler and The Fountain. All of them are good though.

I really ought to watch Pi again, as it has been many years since my first viewing. All of these positive votes have me convinced I may have underestimated it.

10. Dan says:

I think Black Swan would be my favourite Aronofsky too. I really enjoyed it and the performances were exceptional. That said, The Wrestler was great too, and another great performance from Mickey Rourke.

Reviewed Black Swan yesterday, and next week Requiem for a Dream .
    My vote would have gone to Requiem , which stayed with me for days afterwards! Darren Aronofsky is definitely up there among the most talented recent directors for me, I’d also put Jason Reitman in that category