Quick Thoughts on… Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2

This post contains spoilers.

After a month of devout playing, I finally finished Mass Effect 2. One word sums up my thoughts: WOW.

Seriously, this has undoubtedly become one of my favorite games from this generation. Mass Effect 2 builds upon and improves its predecessor in every way imaginable.

Gone are the tedious Mako driving sessions, weird graphical glitches and framerate issues. The occasionally shaky combat has been drastically improved, with a better covering system and more intelligent squad AI. The inventory system has also been revamped, and there are far less items to have to worry about (a good thing).

The game’s structure is tried-and-true, but it works oh so well. The game plays out in simple fashion: Shephard is brought back to life and sent on a “suicide mission” to defeat the evil Collectors who are hellbent on destroying humanity. In order to increase the chances of surviving this epic mission, Shephard is given the task of recruiting several team members and later gaining their loyalty. It’s a long process, but it always feels like you’re working toward something BIG. I felt like I needed to do absolutely everything I could in the game to secure my chances of defeating the Collectors.

It paid off.

With a full and loyal crew, I successfully destroyed the Collector base and made it with the entire squad in tact. It was an intense mission and one hell of a way to close the game.

Mass Effect 2

I made a few changes to my Shephard character this time around. I tweaked his appearance, changed his class (from soldier to vanguard) and swapped romantic partners. My love interest from ME1, Liara, was not willing or able to join the Normandy again (at least it appeared that way), so I went after the wild biotic convict Jack. I have already heard spoilers about her character arc, unfortunately, but it will be interesting to see how that develops in the third game.

Now I am at a crossroads. Do I start up Mass Effect 3 immediately or do I look into picking up ME2’s DLC? Or maybe I’ll take a break from Mass Effect entirely, at least for a little while. I made the mistake of buying ME2 used, so I would have to cough up the $15 for the Cerberus Pass. Is it worth it? Are there any pieces of DLC that I absolutely have to play?

Either way, I am pretty excited to play the conclusion. I just don’t want to get burnt out on Mass Effect at the same time.

My rating for Mass Effect 2: 10/10, easily.

19 thoughts on “Quick Thoughts on… Mass Effect 2

1. sanclementejedi says:

O man, I have doing every side mission in anticipation of that collector battle. Got sidetracked a bit playing the Borderlands GOTY.

Really like ME2 so far, and right on about that Mako. That POS handled like an 78 Ford Pinto.

I don’t know if I would want to jump right into the third one. Personally, I would want to play something else. Thats just me, you might be totally down with jumping back in.

Sounds like you are right near the end then. It took me a couple weeks to finally go through and recruit a full crew + gain their loyalty, but it was totally worth it. It’s a pretty intense mission, you’ll love it.

I might take a week off before I start up ME3, but I am already getting the itch… 😀 We shall see.

Ahhh, no way! What happened?

You might still have a shot if you upgrade your crew’s weapons and all that. I don’t know if one loyalty mission will screw you over completely.

• sanclementejedi says:

I screwed the pooch on that Thane mission and his son carried out the assassination. 😦 Somehow I lost track of him, thats what I get for playing Mass Effect at 2am

Damn, that sucks. I had the same problem with that mission. I lost track of the target but quickly restarted from my last save point when Thane got upset about it. I was able to re-do it and get his loyalty. It might be worth trying another save if you have one, but you should still be OK if you don’t want to bother.

2. Nostra says:

Started with this, but Saint Row the Third took over. I must say that I am really enjoying Mass Effect 2, but I still got so much hours to play on it .

How is Saints Row the Third? I hear it’s pretty crazy. I still have the second game sitting in my shelf… need to give that a shot.

• Nostra says:

I really love it, it really is crazy. These games are just pure games and therefore don’t take themselves seriously and give you lots of freedom. Part two was a lot of fun as well.

Awesome! Sometimes it’s nice to play a mindless game like that, especially in comparison to GTA IV which tried way too hard to be realistic. Looking forward to playing both Saints Row sequels.

3. Gary Smith says:

Definitely agree it’s a great game. I gave it a 9.5/10 myself (or 4 stars) since the PS3 version had some freezing issues that got to be quite annoying. I never played the first one, but this one I loved.

I need to pick up the third one, but it’s probably going to have to wait a while longer. As for the DLC, I enjoyed it and have all of it except for The Arrival. But it came with new copies of the PS3 version, so I don’t know if I would have bought it. Been awhile since I played it, but the DLC missions are decent/good.

Cool, thanks for the heads up on the DLC. I think I’ll hold off for now but I definitely plan on picking it up at some point.

Oh, really? I am still waiting on starting the third, but that’s not too reassuring. I am really curious to see how it all ends though, especially with the ridiculous controversy about it.

4. John says:

Kasumi: Stolen Memory and Project Overlord don’t add to the main plot, but they’re fun diversions that’ll take an hour or two. Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival do flow into the third game, although Arrival is lackluster. If you only play one, I’d suggest Lair of the Shadow Broker.

5. greghorrorshow says:

Such an awesome game – sadly I lost three members of my squad on that last mission :o( Their sacrifice won’t be in vain though ;o)

I actually had all the DLC before starting (as it came with it) so Kasumi and Overlord were part of my main playthrough. I didn’t even know they *were* DLC until well after the fact.

I’m 16 hours into ME3 and really enjoying it.

Yeah, it really kills me that I didn’t cough up the extra few bucks to buy ME2 new. I would have loved to have access to all the DLC right off the bat. Lesson learned.

Glad to hear you’re digging ME3. I plan on starting that this week.