Poll Results: Best Tom Cruise Film

With the option of voting for *two* films, we had a strong turnout in this week’s poll. Here is what was selected as the best film from Tom Cruise:

Rain Man

– Rain Man: 9 votes
– Minority Report: 8 votes
– Magnolia: 6 votes
– The Last Samurai: 6 votes
– Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol: 6 votes
– Top Gun: 5 votes
– Collateral: 5 votes
– Mission: Impossible: 4 votes
– A Few Good Men: 3 votes
– Vanilla Sky: 3 votes
– Jerry Maguire: 2 votes
– Eyes Wide Shut: 2 votes
– Born on the Fourth of July: 1 vote

Say what you want about the man, but Tom Cruise has had a long and massively successful career. His diverse filmography shines through in the results, with a lot of great films getting votes. Rain Man is a deserving winner, no doubt about it.

This Week’s Poll: After entering Billy Wilder into the Ten Best Directors of All Time Relay Race, I just had to do a poll on him. This is especially fitting since Mr. Wilder’s birthday was just this past Friday. He would have been 106 years old. I know there are a lot of Wilder fans out there, so my question this week is, what is your favorite Billy Wilder film? I would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Enjoy it while it lasts.

29 thoughts on “Poll Results: Best Tom Cruise Film

1. artboy68 says:

Everyone knows that the only good Tom Cruise movie on this list is Born On the Fourth Of July… (one of the only decent movies he’s ever been in)

I guess the now apparent cheese factor of Top Gun made it appear further down the list than I would have expected. Not seen Rain Man, but I know it’s worth the top spot.

Unfortunately, I’m not educated enough in Billy Wilder, so will just sit back and wait for the results of this week’s poll 😀

3. tranquilspace says:

Strange. I’d never consider myself a Tom Cruise Fan, but looking at the list I just realised that I’ve based THREE images on his films – Minority Report, Last Samurai and A Few Good Men. That’s about 5% of the total output for the range. OK, they’re spoofs, but still!
    At least Far and Away didn’t make it onto the list 🙂

I voted for Minority Report, wow that came close. I like Rain Man but not exactly my fave, I’d put Last Samurai and Collateral first, I like Tom as the villain in the latter, very sinister.

Oh boy, serves me right for not having see a Billy Wilder movie that I can’t participate in your next poll! 😦

I’m not a *huge* fan of Collateral, but I loved Tom’s performance in that one. He plays a great villain, and I hope we haven’t seen the last of him as one.

As for this week’s poll, well I guess I will just have to keep bugging you till you see some Wilder! 😀

• ruth says:

Yes he does play a chilling villain. He’s just so good looking but that salt ‘n pepper hair makes him look so sinister. It’s now one of my fave Michael Mann’s movies!

Right on. The Last Samurai ended up with a pretty good showing — third place. That’s better than I expected, though I also enjoyed the film quite a bit when it was released.

Hey, no problem at all, Scott! Hope you had a nice holiday. Yeah, The Apartment is looking like the odds-on favorite right now, but I think Some Like It Hot will have a good showing as well.

5. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

I missed this vote, like I’ve missed a lot of blogging lately but life is kicking my ass this summer.
    In any case, I would have voted for Magnolia and Minority Report, with a special mention for Rain Man and The Last Samurai, which was probably my favorite until a few years ago.
    Glad to see you’ve kept busy Eric.

Thanks Niels. It has been hectic, but I feel blogging helps keep me sane. 😀

It sounds like you nailed the top four results in this poll. I was a little surprised to see The Last Samurai do so well. I enjoyed it quite a bit when I saw it in the theater, but I’m curious how it holds up nearly ten years later.

6. Frank says:

Rain Man being on top doesn’t surprise me too much. I am surprised that A Few Good Men is that low. Those are definitely my favorite films of his! Although, I do love him in almost every film he’s in. It may be debatable what he’s like as a person, but he’s a great actor, in my humble opinion.

Hi Frank, yeah sometimes it’s hard to separate an actor and their personal life, but there’s no denying that Cruise has had some great roles. A Few Good Men is one of the few that I still need to see — I’ll have to make it a priority to finally do so.