Poll Results: Best Steven Soderbergh Film

– Traffic: 4 votes
– Out of Sight: 2 votes
– Sex, Lies, and Videotape: 2 votes
– Che: 1 vote
– Contagion: 1 vote
– Haywire: 1 vote

No doubt about this one. Ocean’s Eleven took the early lead and never relinquished it. It has been years since I saw that 2001 caper… perhaps it’s time I revisit it. I never got around to seeing the sequels. Any of them worthwhile? What do you guys think of the results? Are you satisfied with the winner?

This Week’s Poll: Oliver Stone’s Savages had a pretty decent opening by raking in $16 million this weekend, good for fourth overall. Similar to last week’s Soderbergh poll, I thought it would be fun to revisit Stone’s career and see what you guys think is his best film. There are some enticing options in his filmography… should be a fun poll.

Hope you guys had a great weekend!

29 thoughts on “Poll Results: Best Steven Soderbergh Film

1. Anders says:

Glad my two favs, Oceans’ Eleven and Traffic ended up on top (I voted for Traffic). For the new one with Stone I agree with above posters and probably going for Platoon. I had forgot he was involved in Natural Born Killers; I loved that movie when I was in my late-teens, but a re-watch made me change my mind a bit. It is a bit too violent and crazy; still enjoyable though ๐Ÿ˜‰

I haven’t seen Natural Born Killers in years, but I remember not liking it too much back then. I should probably give it another go sometime, as my tastes have changed drastically since.

I thought about just ending the poll at Any Given Sunday, but I figured I should throw in a couple of his more recent films after that. I’m curious about Savages, though. I’ll probably check it out next weekend.

2. bbbgtoby says:

Scandalous! Where was The Limey? Or Solaris? Hey, even Ocean\โ€™s Twelve didn\โ€™t figure.

I was just discussing Stone the other day, as a teenage film geek doing my film A Level I was a massive fan. And then I realised he was a bit dull and repetitive as I delved deeper in to his work.

I reckon Platoon from your list, maybe Salvador, but my preference is for U Turn. What a strange little piece of Film Soleil that was.

Hey Toby, glad to see you around here again. Yeah, I was surprised that so many of Soderbergh’s films didn’t receive any votes. Thought for sure it would be a little more spread out.

As for Stone, I can’t argue your points. He hasn’t done anything really exciting in years. I’ll have to check out U Turn, as that’s one I have overlooked.

3. sati says:

I’m quite surprised! As much as I like Ocean’s 11 I was sure Traffic will be the winner. This time I vote for Natural Born Killers, one of my all time favorite films.

Another vote for NBK, cool. If it’s still on Netflix Instant, I think I will give it another shot. I have a feeling I will like it more this time around.

4. Dan says:

Yeah, Ocean’s Eleven is my favourite. It is such a fun film. The Limey is a great one too – a bit underrated perhaps. I would have thought Out of Sight would have got more votes too. That’s a film I haven’t watched for a long time…might break out the DVD very soon.

• ruth says:

I like the first one but that’s about it, I guess I’m not as fond of the cast as most people. I might like better it if there’s an Ocean movies w/ all British cast, ahah.

P.S. I got my Moonrise Kingdom review up ๐Ÿ™‚

5. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

Not really a fan of Soderbergh, hence why I’ve never rated any of his movies higher than 3.5/5 (I checked). The ones I rated that high were Erin Brockovich and Traffic and I haven’t seen the very long “Che”.

The poll for Oliver Stone is a bit more interesting given his resume. I haven’t seen JFK since it came out and I don’t remember much (I was 7 or 8). Same thing applies to Any Given Sunday. I haven’t watched Platoon, which is an embarrassment, I know, but I plan to get to it shortly.
    My vote will be secret haha

Haha, a secret vote, eh? I think I have a hunch as to what your vote is ๐Ÿ˜‰

But yeah, I’m pleased with the diverse results in this poll. I thought Platoon would destroy its competitors, but there are a couple within striking distance. Makes me want to revisit a couple of them, particularly Natural Born Killers, which I haven’t seen in many years.