Poll Results: Favorite Live Action Batman Film + Weekend Roundup

Was this ever really in doubt?

The Dark Knight

– The Dark Knight: 12 votes
– Batman Begins: 3 votes
– Batman Returns: 3 votes
– Batman [1989]: 2 votes
– Batman [1966]: 1 vote
– Batman Forever: 1 vote
– Batman & Robin: nada

Yeah, no surprises here. I’m starting to think that I should have waited and posted this poll this week. Maybe it would have been a little more competitive… Would any of you have voted for The Dark Knight Rises instead?

This Week’s Poll: As most of you are aware, the best show currently on TV is back on the air: Breaking Bad! As expected, the new season has been off to an awesome start, and I thought it would be fun to share a poll based on the show. The question is: who is your favorite Breaking Bad character? This could be a two-horse race, but there are some great supporting characters who could enter into the discussion. Bottom line is: it feels damn good to have the show back.

WEEKEND ROUNDUP:
I may be the only blogger who didn’t go see The Dark Knight Rises over the weekend. I promised my girlfriend I would see it with her, and, unfortunately, she was completely booked with weddings this weekend. We have plans to catch it next weekend, so it won’t be too long of a wait for me. Regardless, I capitalized on my large amount of free time by getting caught up on work projects while also partaking in a surprisingly long movie marathon. During this two day event, I saw eight movies, which has to be some sort of personal record. Here’s the rundown of what I saw:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Harrison Ford and Sean Connery — a formidable duo

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Saw this for the movie project, so a full review will be coming shortly. Let’s just say this beat the hell out of the Temple of Doom.
Bronson: Holy crap. What a punishing film. Best performance I have seen yet from Tom Hardy, and the soundtrack is fantastic as well. Loved it.
Valhalla Rising: Thought I’d stick with the Refn theme with this one. Pretty disappointing, actually. Some beautiful cinematography does not make up for what is an utterly slow film with little engaging content.
Switchblade Sisters: I dug the hell out of Coffy and Foxy Brown so I thought it would be fun to see another Jack Hill cult film. While not quite up to the level of the Pam Grier classics, this was still a lot of fun with occasional bursts of brilliance. It was interesting to see Quentin Tarantino’s inspiration for Kill Bill‘s Elle Driver character here as well. Apparently he’s a big fan.

Matt Dillon in Drugstore Cowboy

Matt Dillon in Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy: The next two were bumped up in my queue since they will be expiring from Netflix in the next few days. Gus Van Sant’s second feature film is a pretty damn good portrayal of a junkie and his “family” of fellow addicts. Doesn’t glamorize drug abuse or preach against it, just lets the actions speak for themselves.
Ip Man: Allegedly a biographical film of Yip Man, Bruce Lee’s mentor, this is a highly entertaining martial arts flick that overcomes some painfully obvious Chinese propaganda. The choreography is beautifully done, and I really enjoyed Donnie Yen’s lead performance.
Lost in Translation: Rewatch. Loved it the first time, loved it even more this time. I can safely say this is now one of my favorite films, as it is damn near flawless. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson play off each other fantastically, and I love the hell out of the soundtrack. That “Alone in Kyoto” scene? Perfect.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Rewatch. I felt I needed to give this another viewing since my tastes have changed drastically since I first saw it years ago. Second time was a charm, apparently, as I enjoyed it much more. I was a little worried at first since I did not like Kate Winslet’s character at all, but man, I loved the way it all came together in the end. Beautiful.

All in all, a much better batch of films than last weekend. These reaffirmed my love of film, and the fact that there are still a lot of brilliant movies out there that I need to see.

How about you guys? See anything good this weekend? Anyone else NOT see The Dark Knight Rises?

30 thoughts on “Poll Results: Favorite Live Action Batman Film + Weekend Roundup

1. Fogs' Movie Reviews says:

Uhm, dude? The best show on TV is the History Channel’s “Ancient Aliens”. Everybody knows that. 😀

8 movies huh? That’s my kind of weekend! Glad to hear “Lost in Translation” and “Eternal Sunshine” held up well. I’m big fans of both as well, but it has been awhile since Ive seen Lost in Translation, now… have to rewatch that myself.

I didnt vote cause I dont watch Breaking Bad….

Ancient Aliens? Haha, can’t say I have seen that one, though I am quite familiar with that dude’s indescribable hairstyle.

Dude, you gotta get on Breaking Bad! Take a break from seeing the next Eddie Murphy or Nic Cage flick and start marathoning that show! 😀 Seriously, it’s brilliant, and I think you would love it.

2. Buster the Administrator says:

Bronson is such a wild movie. Agree with you on Tom Hardy. Wait until you seem him in The Dark Knight Rises. In my humble opinion, I thought he was perfect but others may feel differently. Looking forward to a review!

-Steve

Ahh, see I voted for Batman Begins. I think I might have voted for TDKR simply because it’s made such a big impact on me right now. But subjectively, Begins I think is the best all around film.

I remember catching the last half of Bronson, must get around to seeing the full film.

You’re making me choose 1 Breaking Bad character?! Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are one character? Right? Right? You are terribly mean!

And hopefully, you’ll be able to see TDKR soon! Hope the hype doesn’t kill it for you.

I think a very strong case could be made for Batman Begins as best, and honestly I am a little surprised that it didn’t get more votes. I actually just rewatched it, and it holds up very well these days.

That conclusion of Bronson is freakin’ nuts. If that didn’t scare you off, then I highly recommend taking in the full movie. It’s quite good despite its brutality.

I think my favorite Breaking Bad character changes with every episode. Lately I have been digging the hell out of Mike. Will be interesting to see who wins this poll!

4. impsndcnma says:

“Lost in Translation” and “Eternal Sunshine” are two of my favorite movies ever. Glad you enjoy them. Keep away from Dark Knight Rises reviews/spoilers. I stopped watching trailers two months before the premier and I probably enjoyed it more because of that.

Yeah, I am doing everything in my power to avoid anything TDKR. I plan on going in pretty much blind so I have an open mind to it. Can’t wait!

5. wordsformusic says:

I went to see it when it came out, i had too i owed it to myself. Easily one of the beat films ive ever seen (slighlty biased because of batman). Agree about bronson though, the soundtrack is brillaint along with tom hardy.

Hey you didn’t see TDKR but you did see a bunch of great movies! I mean Indy 3 is my favorite of the bunch, I just love the Ford/Connery combo!

Glad to see The Dark Knight won. I don’t think TDKR is the best of the 3 but it’s still a satisfying finale.

Yeah, Ford and Connery were a lot of fun together. I’ll take them over Short Round and Willie any day. 😀

I’ll have to stop over and check out your TDKR review after I finally see it. I’m trying my best to avoid spoilers, though I accidentally caught a glimpse of some yesterday… 😦

7. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

Can’t really partake in the coming poll since I haven’t boarded the “Breaking Bad” train just yet. I plan to as soon as I get a chance though.
    As for the winner of this poll I am not surprised at all. I enjoyed both The Dark Knight and Batman Begins, but I also love Batman Returns from the older films even though they are totally different to the more recent efforts.
    I always meant to watch Bronson but I totally forgot to get to it until you reminded me of it just now. Lost in Translation is a hell of a film, I saw the last third on cable the other day too. It hasn’t lost its magic one bit. After this and his take on Groundhog Day, Bill Murray will forever remain one of my favorite actors.
    Ip Man is a very entertaining flick too, but does it merit a IMDB TOP 250 films mention? I don’t think so. Some of the greatest fight scenes I have seen though.

Hope you’re able to see Breaking Bad soon, Niels. It’s one of those shows where you could easily get caught up since it’s so addictive. Wouldn’t be hard to marathon it over a week.

I’m with you on Lost in Translation — if anything, it has gotten even better with age. I also agree on Ip Man. Really fun movie, but I don’t think it’s Top 250 material. I was surprised to see it ranked so high, actually.

Have you seen the sequel? I hear it’s pretty good as well.

8. Muzicrage says:

I Would Not Hav Voted For The Dark Night Rises, Because I Have Not Seen It Yet.I Am Seeing It Toaday Though, Anyone Else Going To See The Dark Night Rises Toaday??.

9. jsicktheslick says:

Don’t worry, I didn’t see The Dark Knight Rises either. Actually, for much the same reasons as yourself: I told my girlfriend I’d see it with her and we can’t watch it together until this coming weekend due to work.

10. Dave says:

Two things.

First, Indy 3 is not better than Indy 2. Love them both. But Temple is Doom is nearly perfect. Yes, I said it, and I know I’m not alone here! Still, I look forward to your Last Crusade assessment!

Second, Breaking Bad kicks so much ass, it hurts my head thinking about it. How am I supposed to pick a single character? Like Jaina mentioned, it’s utterly unfair of you. But yes, this week’s MVP goes to Mike Ehrentraut. A wonderful showcase by Jonathan Banks in the latest one!

Hahaha. I was waiting for the first pro-Temple comment. You know, I should probably revisit it someday, but I remember it really bothering me. Just didn’t like the supporting characters.

And hell yeah about Breaking Bad! I still need to see this week’s episode, unfortunately, but I hope we get to see a lot of Mike this season. I have no idea who I would vote for in this poll, but Mike would definitely be a major consideration.

11. Anders says:

I’m with you on the TDKR. I bought the two other Batman movies last weekend and re-watching them now. They are great and just building up my own hype for the new movie; have just seen half a trailer, don’t know much about the new one, except that it is supposed to be great 😉 Hoping to catch it this weekend 🙂

Btw, good record with 8 movies on a weekend! I think I took 6 movies one day once (or perhaps it was over two days), (the 6 first Harry P movies hehe)…

Right on, man. I just rewatched the other two Batman films as well, and they were just as much fun as the first time I saw ’em. Can’t wait to finally see the conclusion!

And nice job on the HP marathon. 😀 Reminds me of when my girlfriend and I spent our Thanksgiving watching all three Lord of the Rings movies (extended cuts, no less) back-to-back-to-back. That was an epic holiday.

12. sati says:

I haven’t seen tDKR either, I think i will do so this Friday. i want the flood to go through and sit in cinema that isn’t completely packed. I really need to see last season of Breaking Bad, loved the first three.

I think the theaters are going to be packed for TDKR for the next couple weeks at least. I found that out the hard way with the Avengers — I saw it a few weeks after it came out, but all the 2D showings were still selling out. I had to see it in 3D and pay the extra surcharge. Really lame, if you ask me.

Hope you’re able to catch up on Breaking Bad soon! The last season may be my favorite yet.