Poll Results: Favorite Richard Linklater Film + Weekend Roundup

I had a feeling votes would be spread out, but I wasn’t expecting a three way tie! Here are the winners:

Dazed and Confused
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset

– Dazed and Confused: 3 votes
– Before Sunrise: 3 votes
– Before Sunset: 3 votes
– The School of Rock: 2 votes
– A Scanner Darkly: 1 vote
– Bernie: 1 vote
– Me and Orson Welles: 1 vote

If there’s one thing this poll proves, it’s that Richard Linklater has put out consistently great films for much of his career. I love all three of the winners myself, but Dazed and Confused is one of those rare films that absolutely nails its time period and high school setting. I am surprised that Slacker didn’t receive a single vote — where’s the love for early 1990s Austin, Texas?? It’s a conspiracy, man!

This Week’s Poll: While perusing topics for this week’s poll, I stumbled upon a poster for Barton Fink. This got me thinking about the Coen brothers and their impressive filmography. With so many excellent movies to their names, I am recommending everyone to vote for their top TWO favorite Coen brothers films. I have a feeling these results will be as scattered as Linklater’s.

WEEKEND ROUNDUP:
The NFL is back, baby! I’m starting to think the fall is my favorite time of the year — the temps are cooling down but aren’t too cold, the leaves are changing, and Sundays are filled with pro football. Now, some of you may remember that I am a *huge* Detroit Lions fan, and this is only the second year that I can say that without grimacing. Their game against the St. Louis Rams over the weekend was an ugly one — QB Matthew Stafford shockingly looked like a rookie in the first half — but the team gutted it out and pulled off a huge comeback in the fourth quarter to seal the win, 27-23. They aren’t going to be able to do that against better teams, but I’m hoping they just needed to shake off some rust. Next week’s primetime game on the road against the San Francisco 49ers will be a real test, and based on their beatdown of Green Bay, I am not particularly optimistic about Detroit’s chances. But hey, it’s the NFL, and “any given sunday” and all that jazz.

Outside of football, it was a pretty busy weekend for me. I did manage to catch two films, the last two from Paul Thomas Anderson that I hadn’t seen: Magnolia and Hard Eight. I loved Magnolia, even though the final act was just batshit crazy. Did not feel like a three hour film at all. Hard Eight was pretty solid, too, and it was especially great to see Philip Baker Hall in the lead role. It’s clearly PTA’s weakest effort, though.

What did you guys see over the weekend? Any thoughts on the latest poll results or this week’s question?

23 thoughts on “Poll Results: Favorite Richard Linklater Film + Weekend Roundup

1. Morgan R. Lewis says:

There are still a lot of Coen brothers films I need to see, but I can at least cast my vote for a couple. My favorites are O Brother Where Art Thou? and The Big Lebowski. Both are great fun, and OBWAT is just a great film, period. No Country For Old Men was 80% great, but the last act was unforgivably anticlimactic. Burn After Reading was silly fun. The Ladykillers just plain stank.

You know, I felt the same way about No Country for Old Men’s ending, but I eventually grew to love it. I plan on revisiting it this month, so we’ll see if I still feel that way…

I’m also way overdue to give The Big Lebowski another chance. I saw it way back in…high school, I believe, and liked it well enough but didn’t get the hype. I get the feeling I would like it a lot more this time around, though.

2. impsndcnma says:

Not surprised with the top three films for Richard Linklater. The Coen Brothers is a little harder. I could’ve selected at least four, but I did manage to only pick two.

Haha, yeah I was going to do a regular “pick one” poll, but the Coens’ filmography is just way too big.

I’m thinking you nailed the two winners, but I could be wrong…

I haven’t seen too many of Coens’ work, though the one I just blogged about certainly piqued my interest. I voted for Miller’s Crossings and True Grit out of those I have seen. I think ‘Lebowski’ would win in a landslide though.

Yeah, Lebowski is doing quite well so far. Still plenty of time for an upset, though. πŸ™‚

Miller’s Crossing, eh? That’s one of the few I haven’t seen. Will try to check that out soon.

4. sati says:

Surprised Before Sunset wasn’t the clear winner here, from what I gathered everyone is madly in love with this movie πŸ™‚

Ah, Coen brothers…Big Lebowski and Fargo for me.

I was expecting a runaway win for Dazed and Confused myself. But it is fitting that Before Sunrise & Sunset ended up with the same amount of votes. There’s always a hot debate about which one is better.

5. Anders says:

After this I got to see the “Before sun…”-movies, they seem good. I am usually not into romantic movies, but after this poll and the earlier comments, I am convinced πŸ™‚

Agree on Magnolia, it is a very long movie, and very crazy at times, but overall a cool “trip” πŸ˜‰

My best movie of the weekend is Best exotic marigold hotel (or something like that). The first good thing is that the cast is a group of very good “old” actors (ie, so much experience and knowledge packed together), and the second is that the story and that it was about “old” people made it different compared to 99% of other movies around, which mostly is about ppl between 15-35… Many times movies where the main characters have been around for a while, the story can evolve much more, because they have a long background story which usually can give more backbone to the whole movie. That is my take on movies with people aged > 35 (which is not so old, anyway, considering I turn 35 soon haha!! πŸ˜€ )

Oh man, yeah if you haven’t seen the Before Sunrise/Sunset movies, you’re in for a treat. They’re pretty quick, too, so you could probably burn through them both back-to-back if you wanted to.

I haven’t seen The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel myself. Heard plenty of good things but keep forgetting about it. You’ve got me interested now, though. πŸ™‚

I still have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to the Coen Brothers, but I’ve done well this year.

Went for The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona – I just love the utter randomness and hilarity of these two. Was tempted with Miller’s Crossing too – really enjoyed that one.