Poll Results: Favorite Coen Brothers Film + Weekend Roundup

– Fargo: 7 votes
– No Country for Old Men: 6 votes
– O Brother, Where Art Thou?: 6 votes
– True Grit: 2 votes
– Miller’s Crossing: 1 vote
– Raising Arizona: 1 vote

Nice to see seven different films get votes, but I’m surprised others received no love: Blood Simple, A Serious Man, Barton Fink, etc. I guess that just shows that the films listed above are on a completely different level.

This Week’s Poll: The “found footage” film genre has been ridiculed for the past few years, and perhaps rightfully so. However, there are some quality titles in the genre amongst the garbage, including a handful of truly important pieces of filmmaking. After looking back at the best to use the concept, my question for you is: what is your favorite found footage film? There have to be at least a few viable contenders, right?

WEEKEND ROUNDUP:
As you may have noticed, things at The Warning Sign have been rather quiet. I didn’t plan on taking a break, but it turned out to be quite the busy week and I just didn’t have any posts lined up in time. This week and upcoming weekend also look to be rather packed, so the normal five posts per week schedule is likely out of the question. I know a few other bloggers have taken breaks recently, and much like them I have found the separation to be rewarding. I’m not going away anytime soon, but don’t be surprised if posts become a little more sporadic. It’s pretty damn hard to put up new material nearly every day of the week! Thankfully, I was able to catch a couple of films at the theater yesterday, so keep an eye out for reviews on those in the coming days. Other than that, I have some other ideas in place but can make no guarantees as to when new posts will be up.

Finally, some quick thoughts on week two of the NFL… I missed out on the daytime action, but I was especially excited to see my Detroit Lions on primetime television. I still can’t get over the fact that we have a respected, quality team — one that has two primetime games this season. Sure, the Lions lost last night in a pretty ugly game, but at least they made it respectable at the end despite missing 3/4 of their starting secondary to injury. One thing that I have to say about football in general: the replacement officials are TERRIBLE. It is becoming painful to watch the NFL this year simply because of blown calls, missed penalties and poor time management. There were several novice mistakes against both teams last night, many of which were crucial to the game’s development. The NFL needs to work out a deal with the old crew, STAT.

Enough ranting. What do you guys think of the latest poll results? How did your votes fare? What do you have in mind for this week?

22 thoughts on “Poll Results: Favorite Coen Brothers Film + Weekend Roundup

Thanks! I’ll still be around, I just won’t push myself to do five posts per week. That’s a hard pace to maintain! Surprised I didn’t burn out sooner, to be honest.

I quite missed you Eric, I came here a couple of times this weekend πŸ™‚ But hey it’s football season so I totally understand, he..he..

As for your poll, see, I knew The Big Lebowski would win in a landslide!

Aww, thanks Ruth! πŸ˜€ It has just been busy, busy for the last week or so, and it should remain that way until October. But hey, I’m not complaining! I have a lot of fun stuff planned until then (including a much needed trip out of the city!).

2. Morgan R. Lewis says:

On this week’s poll, I haven’t seen much in the way of found footage films… at least not many that come to mind. I liked Chronicle, and I didn’t finish The Blair Witch Project, so that kind of picks my vote by default…

Yeah, you’re not missing too terribly much, Morgan. When looking at the genre’s Wikipedia page, I had to really scramble to find more than a handful of films worth including in this poll.

3. John says:

I know what you mean. I’ve been struggling to bang stuff out. Part of it is the renewed energy of the fall, part of it is being obnoxiously busy at work… I haven’t taken a break yet but it really feels like the right thing to do.

Choosing a favorite Coen movie is like choosing the best cake I’ve ever had or my favorite Dylan song. It’s pretty much impossible. Lebowski, Fargo, A Serious Man, Barton Fink, O Brother… I love ’em all.

I think writing at a more relaxed pace will keep me invigorated for a while, at least. I am pretty psyched about the fall, though — near-perfect weather, football season, better films, etc. I’m starting to think I’m not much of a summer guy, heh.

Agreed on the Coens. I haven’t seen a film from them yet that I didn’t enjoy in at least some fashion.

4. Anders says:

Many sites’ polls are quite boring, but you manage to have good ones all the time! The one with Cohen brothers movies were hard to decide on though, since they have so many good movies, and they are good in different ways. I voted for Fargo and one more (don’t remember), but Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski and some more could easily also gotten some votes from from me.

Regarding your “quite season” I think this period of the year is quite common for many people to have to lower their level of ambition and focus on other things, like more work, a new school term or similar. For me the end of summer is the real “new year”, in the sense that the summer is the highlight of the year, and when it is over, a new year starts, and again warming up til next year’s summer πŸ˜‰

I’ve also been very quiet recently, a lot due to extra work load, and other stuff. Hope to get back in track soon, especially with the Eurogamer expo next week. Take it easy man, we know you will be back with a lot of great stuff, when you have the time and inspiration! πŸ™‚

Thanks man! It’s starting to get hard to come up with polls without rehashing the same theme, so if you have any ideas you should let me know πŸ™‚

That’s a good point about summer feeling like the end of the year. It’s like we’re going to be getting a fresh start with all of these killer movies and video games coming out. This is the best time of the year for people like us. πŸ˜€

Eurogamer is going to be a blast, man. Can’t wait for your coverage on that!

Glad to see The Dude winning there. Even more glad that I finally saw that film this year. Barton Fink’s next on my list in terms of Coens. Really find I’m enjoying their earlier films a lot more.

Voted for TrollHunter this time. LOVED that film. It’s got some humor to it. It looks slick. And it’s original. I would have gone for the [REC] series. 1 and 2 are brilliant. But 3 has really soured my taste. Sad that.

Breaks are good. Helps you get a bit more perspective on your blogging. So I encourage it. Definitely. πŸ™‚ Feeling like you *have* to blog feels like one of the worst things at times. It’s nice to not feel that pressure and let yourself just get on and blog when you feel like you want to.

Oh, good call on Trollhunter. I don’t know if it will get many votes since a lot of people haven’t seen it, but it’s definitely a good little film. There have been quite a few entertaining films coming out of Norway lately.

Amen to your last paragraph! I found this little mini-break to be very refreshing. I sat down and wrote a bit on Sunday night and felt at peace — a feeling I haven’t had in a while. I really like the idea of only writing when inspired.

6. sati says:

Glad The Dude won! I’m glad Barton Fink didn’t get anything, I think it’s one of the most overrated movies out there. If it wasn’t for Goodman and Davis I’d turn it off.

I’m voting for The Blair Witch Project since it was one of the last scary and refreshing horror movies. Nowadays horror genre is such shit.

Oh wow, not a fan of Barton Fink? I haven’t seen it yet but I recall hearing a lot of good things about it.

Yeah, it’s too bad the horror genre is comprised of such garbage these days. The only films I have really enjoyed lately were both comedy/horror — The Cabin in the Woods and Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Nothing else comes to mind. But yeah, Blair Witch is fantastic. I would love to see that win this poll.