Poll Results: Best Found Footage Film + Weekend Roundup

Quite a few contenders, but there could be only one:

The Blair Witch Project

– The Blair Witch Project: 7 votes
– Chronicle: 5 votes
– Cloverfield: 2 votes
– The Troll Hunter: 2 votes
– Cannibal Holocaust: 1 vote
– Man Bites Dog: 1 vote
– Quarantine: 1 vote
– Paranormal Activity series: 1 vote
– The Last Exorcism: 1 vote

It came down to a battle of the old and the new, but the horror favorite of The Blair Witch Project prevailed. Can’t argue with that one, as it has turned out to be quite the influential film. I love that some lesser-seen titles such as Man Bites Dog and Cannibal Holocaust received votes as well. No love for [REC], though?

This Week’s Poll: Fall TV is back, with many shows making their season debuts last week. Despite increasingly poor ratings, NBC’s Thursday night block of comedies has provided some of the funniest television over the last several years. My question for you is: what is the best sitcom from this group of comedies?

WEEKEND ROUNDUP:
After the craziness of the last couple weeks, I had a much-needed getaway and spent the weekend camping in Wisconsin. My girlfriend and I went with a couple friends, and we had a great time hiking and just hanging out at our campsite. It felt amazing to just be so far removed from technology, even if it were only for a couple of days. Plus we got to drink plenty of New Glarus brews, always a highlight when visiting the Badger State.

We got back in time for me to catch the second half of the Lions/Titans game, and holy hell, that was probably the most ridiculous game I have ever seen! It’s not often that you get to see a backup quarterback lead a team down the field and score a touchdown in a matter of seconds, watch the team recover an onside kick, then proceed to throw a successful Hail Mary bomb to tie the game at the end of regulation. I’m still in shock over that series of events — two touchdowns in 18 seconds! Of course, a botched playcall at the end sealed the loss for the Lions, but that was easily the most entertaining game of the year so far. It would have never happened without the replacement refs either, who blew so many calls for both sides that it was just laughable. When all is said and done, people are going to look back at this season in a state of bewilderment.

So, how was your weekend? What do you guys think about the new poll and last week’s results?

26 thoughts on “Poll Results: Best Found Footage Film + Weekend Roundup

1. sati says:

So glad Blair Witch won! It’s honestly one of the scariest films I’ve seen – I live near the woods so I couldn’t go there for like a month after seeing this movie 🙂

This time I’m voting for Parks and Rec, I don’t watch Up All Night, The Office went to hell after Carell left, 30 rock was quite lame lately and i never got the hype around Community. And P&R has Ron Swanson 🙂

I pretty much agree with everything you said, though I think Community’s first two seasons were hilarious. Last season was only so-so, though.

But yeah, Parks & Rec has been consistently brilliant since the beginning. So glad it’s back on the air!

2. paulbowler says:

The Blair Witch Project was the first, and is still the best “found footage” movie. I has such a creepy setting, the tension never lets up, and the ending is just chilling.

• John says:

Have you seen it? I sort of think of that movie as the equivalent of turning around and looking before you flush. Which probably sounds more harsh than I mean but think of “turning around” as looking back into the past for found footage.

I haven’t actually seen it myself, but I know my curiosity will get the best of me someday. Hell, maybe I’ll throw it in next year’s project. It could take the place of Pink Flamingos.

I voted for Chronicle, glad to see it made #2. As for this week’s poll, when I’ve only seen one episode of Community but it was pretty funny. I just don’t have time for TV right now.

Ah, really? TV is good background fodder for me. Plus these episodes are only 20 minutes without commercials so it’s pretty easy to catch up. Having said that, I still opt for a movie whenever possible. 🙂

• ruth says:

My TV is downstairs in my basement so I only go there when I want to watch a movie, so it’s hardly ever on. I think if I have another set upstairs I might watch more TV but I’ll be blogging much less, too 🙂

4. Anders says:

I voted for Blair Witch, (although I haven’t seen the whole film yet 😉 ) I have it lying around; last I saw around 60% but got interrupted. Will give it another shot soon.
    I have only seen the first of the Paranormal activity, and it was quite cool and scary, but there are like one or two sequels also; are they any good?

Have to skip on this week’s poll since none of these series (at least on my channels) are available in UK. I liked the old, old the Office, with Gervais in it, but I have no idea how the newly produced series are.

I liked the first Paranormal Activity quite a bit, but the second one was just more of the same and it got old after a while. Haven’t seen the third one, though it sounds like I’m not missing much.

I still need to check out the original Office. The US version was quite good for, say, the first five seasons or so, but it went downhill after that. Now it’s a bit of a joke, especially with half of its original cast missing. At least it’s in its final season.

5. Craig says:

Hmm, main problem with this poll is that it replaces the awesome, chilling [REC] with the awful remake Quarantine. Oh and Blair Witch the best? Really? … yes, influential, but that was not a good movie.

I actually included [REC] in the poll, but it didn’t get any votes. I was surprised by that because it really is a good film. I guess not many people have seen it, unfortunately.

Haha, well I didn’t like any of the characters, especially the lead guy. I just got really tired of their antics. Also, the found footage concept was way too inconsistent. It worked for a while, but at the end they were using all sorts of cameras and not just the original handheld. It didn’t really flow with what they were shooting for.

It wasn’t a bad film or anything, I just didn’t fall in love with it like so many others.

6. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

Hey Eric!
    I’m back from yet another long break from blogging (another one might follow sooner than later).
    If I had voted, I would have thrown my support for the Blair Witch as well. I remember stepping into the theater when I was 16-17 and being blown away by it, in fact, I knew little about it, so for a second the whole found-footage set-up had me fooled.
    In any case, glad to see you’ve kept busy blogging. Please stop by my blog to check my review of End of Watch. Superb film!

Hey Niels, glad to see you back online! I had similar thoughts about Blair Witch when I was younger — for a while there, I even thought it was real. 😀 I haven’t seen it in years so I’m curious if it still holds up well today.

Will head over to your blog soon. Sounds like I am going to have to try to catch End of Watch before it leaves town!