Movies Watched [September 2012]

Chicago [2002]

17) Miami Connection [1987]
Miami Connection [1987]

18) Bernie [2011]
Bernie [2011]

* denotes rewatch

Movie of the Month: There are a few strong contenders, including Glengarry Glen Ross, Before Sunset and Magnolia, all of which I loved, but I have to select Alfred Hitchcock’s espionage thriller, Notorious, as the best of the month. If rewatches were included, There Will Be Blood would likely be my choice. It was even better the second time around.

Dud of the Month: Miami Connection is technically the “worst” movie I saw last month, but it was so much fun that I cannot rightfully consider it a dud. Therefore, I’ll go with The Five-Year Engagement, an overlong mess of a romantic comedy that wasted its strong cast.

Yearly Total: 206

What’s your favorite from this group of movies? What’s the best film you saw last month?

18 thoughts on “Movies Watched [September 2012]

I liked some of Noe’s ideas in I Stand Alone (i.e. hearing the inner monologue, and the constant feeling of despair), but I think it’s the weakest of his three films. I kind of wish I had seen it first rather than Irreversible, though.

1. SDG says:

Once Again, WooHoo !! 😀 Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
    But again I am right there with you. There is so much greatness in this list, even No.5 of all time can’t be the best film of it. That would No.2, There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview is ‘THE Best Individual Performance’ I have seen. Ever. Glengarry, Traffic, Magnolia, Before Sunset – all are great movies. Quality month Eric!

Man, it was hard to pick a favorite this time around, but Notorious is just that damn good. I’m with you on TTWB — that was the performance of a lifetime from Day-Lewis. Unbelievable.

2. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

some great films in here. There Will Be Blood and Magnolia my favorites of the bunch.
    I should give Notorious a watch since it’s one of those Hitchcock films that has eluded me all of these years. I’ve only read great things about it.

Hahaha. I’m just glad I finally sat down to watch the whole movie. I heard that song a million times over the years but never saw the film.

Hey you went with a classic movie as your movie of the month, cool! I did too last month with An Affair to Remember. Btw, I really should see Glengarry Glen Ross one of these days, I know Castor is giving me flak for still not seeing it, ahah.

Tim Burton’s Batman vision was pretty amazing for atmosphere and entertainment. For a first outing, Batman (1989) is endlessly rewatchable. Unlike Batman Begins, which I wouldn’t watch too often. Nolan’s first Batman film is the weakest of the trilogy in my mind.

Was thinking of putting on Carnival of Souls [1962], worth the time?
    Videodrome (1983) is my favorite of september

It’s funny — I hadn’t seen Batman since I was very, very young, and I only remembered two scenes from it. It was basically like I was watching it for the first time, and I had a blast with it overall.

Carnival of Souls wasn’t quite as good as I hoped. I dug the brooding atmosphere, but it just took forever to get anywhere. It didn’t help that the story was utterly predictable, as it has clearly influenced many films over the years since then. Not a bad film by any means, but it hasn’t aged as gracefully as others.

5. ilovethatfilm says:

LOVE Team America and Life in a Day. Team America is possibly my favourite comedy of all time and definitely my favouriite sex scene in cinema history!