Poll Results: Favorite John Carpenter Film

No doubt about this one:

The Thing

– The Thing: 14 votes
– Halloween: 9 votes
– Big Trouble in Little China: 6 votes
– Assault on Precinct 13: 3 votes
– Escape from New York: 2 votes
– They Live: 2 votes
– Christine: 1 vote
– Escape from L.A.: 1 vote
– The Fog: 1 vote
– Memoirs of an Invisible Man: 1 vote
– Prince of Darkness: 1 vote
– Starman: 1 vote
– Village of the Damned: 1 vote
– Dark Star, Ghosts of Mars, In the Mouth of Madness, Vampires and The Ward: 0 votes

The results weren’t too far off from what I expected, but I’ve gotta admit that I was hoping for more votes for They Live. Can’t argue with The Thing winning — that movie holds up remarkably well today.

This Week’s Poll: Continuing with the month-long horror poll theme, I would like to know what you consider the absolute best long-running horror franchise. I generally included only those with five or more films, and I’m asking you to take into account the whole franchise. When looked at as a whole, which one is best?

The Warning Sign news:
No weekend roundup this time. Instead, I have two announcements pertaining to this humble little blog:

1) I have had my first ever blog interview! Jeff from Just1MoreLevel was kind enough to interview me about The Warning Sign, and the full post can be found at his great gaming blog.

2) I was invited to partake in an epic Out of the Park Baseball league organized by Seamheads.com. Dubbed the “Laundry League”, there are 30 of us participating (including a handful of ex-MLB players, authors and online personalities), and we were each given a team filled with players from throughout the entire history of MLB. It’s a pretty awesome concept, and each team is stacked with guys who are rated based on the best year of their careers. I will be the Chicago White Sox. The full results of the inaugural draft can be found over at Seamheads.

While I am on the subject of discussing The Warning Sign, I would also like to invite everyone to “Like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. This blog has grown exponentially over the past year, and I would like to continue pushing forward in that direction. Thank you to everyone for your continued support — without all of you, none of this would exist!

31 thoughts on “Poll Results: Favorite John Carpenter Film

Oh cool, didn’t know you did a TMT on this. Thanks for sharing, Michael!

Halloween on the big screen is awfully tempting. I’ll have to see if I can swing it — if not, I still plan on revisiting the DVD this month. Have you done a TMT for Halloween? πŸ˜€

1. Fogs' Movie Reviews says:

Single movie is a different debate. Franchise? It’s all about Friday the 13th, baby. NO doubt. πŸ˜€

Hard to argue with the results of the Carpenter poll. Although I’m surprised to see anything but Halloween and The Thing scoring votes… those two are far above his other offerings, I think.

Well, to be fair, the poll was for *favorite* John Carpenter, not *best*. But yeah, those can oftentimes mean the same thing. It really doesn’t get much better than either of those films.

2. Dan says:

I’m saddened that Big Trouble in Little China (my pick) didn’t take the top prize, but I can’t argue too strongly against the results. The best choices are all near the top.

I picked up Out of the Park baseball a few months back, and I’ve struggled to stick with it. I’m guessing that a league like the one you joined is the way to make it a lot more interesting. Competing against the computer just wasn’t that much fun.

I hear ya, Dan. I felt the same way about They Live, but it’s hard to compete with the two all-time horror greats of The Thing and Halloween.

Bummer to hear you didn’t get into OOTP. I have spent way more time with that sim than I would like to admit. πŸ˜€ Playing in a league with others does add a whole new dimension, though. Come to think of it, there may be a new opening for the Laundry League. I’ll have to double-check to make sure the spot hasn’t been filled, but is it something you might be interested in joining?

• Dan says:

Hi Eric. I might actually be interested in joining. It sounds like you already had the draft, right?. Let me know if it’s still possible and if you have more details.

Hey Dan, it sounds like there are still two openings available. I went ahead and sent you an email to the address on your blog — let me know if you got it. Thanks!

3. Morgan R. Lewis says:

I’m afraid I can’t judge by the whole franchise — I think the only one I’ve seen more than one film in is Friday the 13th, and I’ve only seen the first two there. Just by what I’ve seen, Halloween takes it.

I’m kind of in the same boat, Morgan. I have only caught films here and there from most of them, so I’m going to use this poll as a barometer to figure out what I should see more of. I started going through Hellraiser but gave up after the second one. πŸ˜€

Nice to see my two Carpenter picks made the top 5 πŸ™‚
    So, are you catching some horror movies this month, Eric? I may watch the first horror film ever made: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    (1921) .
    I’m at a disadvantage for next poll, lots I haven’t seen, maybe I should set a goal of seeing the first installment of all those franchises…I like Nightmare on Elm Street, granted many misfires in series, but also worthy sequels like New Nightmare (1994), or Dream Warriors (1987).
    Have to take a look at the interview at Just1MoreLevel

Oh yeah, I’m starting to get into the horror mood this month! πŸ˜€ I have a batch of mini-reviews ready to post tomorrow, and I have a few more ideas in the pipeline for the coming weeks. How about you? Got anything else planned after The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?

I should sit down and watch more from Nightmare on Elm Street. I didn’t even see the first one until just last year. Not sure how it took me so long to do that. πŸ™‚

Night of the Living Dead is a must see. Outside of some ill-advised character antics, it holds up surprisingly well today.

I still need to see Children of the Corn myself. Might give that a go, too, especially since it is on Netflix Instant now.

Congrats on the interview Eric! Great to see πŸ˜€

I would have been shocked if The Thing didn’t rock this poll. Awesome horror film.

Voted for Saw this week. Sure, it’s all gone a bit weird and overly violent, but I really dig Jigsaw as the killer. He’s like Dexter totally on the loose.

Hey, you’ll get no complaints from me about your Saw vote, Jaina. I’m a big fan of the series, even though the last two or three were pretty bad. Jigsaw is a great villain for sure.

Hi Dan, nice to hear from you. All of this love for The Thing has me wanting to revisit it. Perhaps a double feature with Halloween is in the cards…

6. ilovethatfilm says:

It’s all about Assault on Precinct 13 for me. Love the new poll. Went for serial killers but its a damn tricky question.

7. Andrew says:

Missed the boat on this one, but I’d have given it to The Thing as well. In fact, the top three results are precisely what I’d have as my personal three favorite Carpenter films. Sometimes, a guy’s opinion just reflects that of the zeitgeist.

Hi Andrew, thanks for stopping by! Yeah, I can’t really argue with the top three results here, even though They Live is my personal favorite. Carpenter was on fire for a good chunk of the 70s and 80s.