Top 10 “New to Me” Films From 2012

I watched a lot of movies last year — 280, to be exact. I still don’t know how I managed to pull that off, but I’m not complaining. A good chunk of that was thanks a combination of my 50 Movies Project and trying to keep up with 2012’s latest releases. Yet I also saw a large number of other films that have eluded me over the years, many of which deserve to be acknowledged. Here is a list of the top 10 “new to me” films that I saw in 2012, omitting those from the project or those released within the last two years.

Special mention:
Miami Connection [1987]
Miami Connection [1987]
We will stop this senseless killing;
We will end this evil war;
We will stop this senseless killing;
We’ll even up the score!
Against the ninja!

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof [1958]
10) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof [1958]
Careful Maggie, your claws are showing.

The Descent [2005]
9) The Descent [2005]
I’m an English teacher, not fucking Tomb Raider.

Assault on Precinct 13 [1976]
8) Assault on Precinct 13 [1976]
Detective, you run this precinct like chicken night in Turkey.

Slacker [1991]
7) Slacker [1991]
Sorry, I’m late.
That’s okay, time doesn’t exist.

popeye-doyle
6) The French Connection [1971]
All right, Popeye’s here! Get your hands on your heads, get off the bar, and get on the wall!

Before Sunrise [1995]
Before Sunset [2004]
5) Before Sunrise/Sunset ย [1995, 2004]
I used to think that if none of your family or friends knew you were dead, it was like not really being dead. People can invent the best and the worst for you.

out-of-the-past-mitchum
4) Out of the Past [1947]
Baby, I don’t care.

magnolia-frank-mackey
3) Magnolia [1999]
Come on, Frank. What are you doing?
What am I doing? I’m quietly judging you.

glengarry-glen-ross-alec-baldwin
2) Glengarry Glen Ross [1992]
Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee’s for closers only.

the-apartment-shut-up-and-deal
1) The Apartment [1960]
Shut up and deal…

What do you guys think of these films? What was the best “new to you” movie you saw in 2012?

34 thoughts on “Top 10 “New to Me” Films From 2012

1. table9mutant says:

I love Before Sunrise/Before Sunset & The Apartment. ๐Ÿ™‚ Not 2012 but best recent “new to me” movie I watched was Modern Times & I now want to watch lots more Charlie Chaplin movies.

2. Fogs' Movie Reviews says:

LOL. You feature SO many awesome films in your “Catching Up” posts one way or the other… makes me wonder, did you JUST start watching movies when you started blogging? ๐Ÿ˜€ LOL!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Meanwhile, awesome movies on here. Appropriate that you chose that pic for appointing Glengarry Glen Ross as your number, two. Are you reminding us all that “Second prize is a set of steak knives”? ๐Ÿ˜€

Haha, well to be fair I have been doing A LOT of catching up in terms of films seen. I didn’t start indulging in movies until probably ’08 or ’09, and I missed out on a lot of stuff before then.

Glengarry Glen Ross was the hardest one to pick a quote from. Seriously, every line in that movie is pure gold. Ultimately I had to go with a Baldwin line though. ๐Ÿ˜€

I loved it. I was lucky enough to catch it on the big screen over the summer, too. Been meaning to see the sequel, which I heard is pretty good.

Great set of movies here Eric, nice job! I really need to keep a journal this year as I can’t remember how many ‘new-to-me’ movies I saw in 2012.

Btw, about your current poll, cool that someone else voted for The Phantom of the Opera as well. Though I don’t care for GB again, he really was mesmerizing in that movie ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks, Ruth. Between icheckmovies, IMDB and Letterboxd, I have my movie viewing habits well covered. ๐Ÿ™‚

I almost didn’t include The Phantom of the Opera because I’ve heard mixed things. Glad I did!

4. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

I’ve actually only seen #3, 6, 8, 9 and 10. Out of those five, I’d have to agree with your top choice in the group. Magnolia is superb.
    As for my favorite film watched in 2012 I’d have to give it to “A Separation”. If you only counted older films that I got to for the first time, then I’d have to say it’s between Fargo and Where the Wild Things Are. One funnier and trippier than I expected, and the other an emotional ride that transported me back to my childhood.

Those are two great picks right there! I revisited Fargo a couple months ago and loved it even more the second time around. Also really enjoyed Where the Wild Things Are, an impressive adaptation of one of my favorite childhood books.

5. athomas28 says:

I have to check out Magnolia!

I also really need to watch The Descent again, having only seen it when I was 14 and not that introduced to movies.

Also watched GGR for the first time this year, didn’t do anything for me, glad you liked it though.

Magnolia is a must see, man, especially if you have enjoyed Paul Thomas Anderson’s other work. It’s difficult to pick a favorite from him, but that one would certainly be up there.

I remember your writeup about GGR, bummer you didn’t like it as much. I even considered buying a ticket for the Broadway show in which Al Pacino takes on Jack Lemmon’s role. But of course that would require a trip to NYC, and that’s a little out of my budget right now, heh.