Blogathon: Movie Jail Relay Race

Nostra, the King of Blogathons, has teamed up with Terrence from The Focused Filmographer to deliver one of the most entertaining blogathons yet:

Movie Jail Relay Race

The Rules:
It’s time to put some movie people in jail. The object is to give a prosecutor’s argument as to why these movie people belong in “Movie Jail” whether it be for violating the integrity of the content source of one their films, or being a sell-out, just making bad movies overall, getting worse as time goes on or not being in a good movie for many years. The baton will be passed to another blogger who will have to do the following:

In order to free someone from Movie Jail they have to do 2 things:

1 – Give a defense attorney argument defending the plaintiff
2 – Pay bail: the cost of which is another case for the court and a prosecutor’s argument against the actor/director of their choice that will replace the one set free.

There must always be 10 people in Movie Jail.

The Participants:

Jennifer Lopez

gerard-butler-JAILED
Gerard Butler

Who I’m Setting Free:
todd-phillips
Todd Phillips
Honestly, it’s hard to make a case for any of these inmates, but Todd Phillips has at least made a few solid comedies over the years. Although I haven’t seen either in many years, I did enjoy Road Trip and Old School, and I even liked *both* of The Hangover films. Blasphemy, I know. Yeah, he has had some missteps along the way, and he doesn’t have a particularly positive reputation, but I think he has served enough time in our jail.

Who I’m Putting in Jail:
val-kilmer-JAILED
Val Kilmer
How did the man best known for playing Jim Morrison, Doc Holliday and freakin’ Batman end up like this?? Kilmer has resorted to almost exclusively putting out direct-to-video fodder. Just take a look at his seven (!) films from 2012 alone: Deep in the Heart, Lotus Community Workshop, Breathless, Wyatt Earp’s Revenge, Seven Below, The Fourth Dimension, Standing Up. Do any of those ring a bell? For his poor recent output, Val Kilmer deserves a stint in movie jail.

Next up in the relay race: 3 Guys, 1 Movie

46 thoughts on “Blogathon: Movie Jail Relay Race

1. jackdeth72 says:

Hi, Eric and company:

I kind of go along with your choice of Val Kilmer. Considering he’s done not much of anything notable since his time with David manet and ‘Spartan’. A role better suited for Max Martini ( Dirt Diver from ‘The Unit’ on CBS, ‘Saving Private Ryan’ and countless bad guy roles on TV) or Scott Caan. Who seem more attuned to Mamet’s dialogue.

2. Nostra says:

Wow, King of Blogathons…you are not the first person to call me that, so I will wear that title with pride! 😉

As for your choices…I hated the second Hangover movie, but did enjoy the other movies you mention, so I can agree with you setting him free. If Hangover 3 is as bad as 2 though he has to go in again!
    Val Kilmer….the last good thing I remember seeing him in was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang…and that’s been a while. Hope he’ll get some worthwile roles again!

Thanks for participating…

3. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

Not only has Val Kilmer been in a string of direct to video films, but he’s let himself go. He probably looks older and “bigger” than other contemporaries. I’d have also gotten Todd Phillips out from the bunch.

4. Dan Heaton says:

Eric, I feel like Val Kilmer has so much potential still to do excellent work, but you do make good points about his recent slate and upcoming movies. I’m still hoping he’ll get a Travolta-like recovery and get the chance to do great work again.

5. The Focused Filmographer says:

Very fun. and I laughed as soon as I saw that pic! I remember seeing it with a caption that read “Hey Guys, remember when I was Batman?” haha

Great choice. He def has not made many good film choices since…well…The Saint comes to mind (I liked that one). He lives North of me and when he shows up he is just about as odd as the movie choices he’s made lately. I liked him more in the 90s.

sorry Val.

Thanks for playing, Eric. Glad you were a part! Can’t wait to see where this goes. None of my original inmates are in jail anymore! ha

Haha, I saw that Batman pic when I was searching for this one. Cracked me up. Poor guy!

I had to look up The Saint. That came out in 1997, wow. Unfortunately, it’s been pretty much slim pickings for him since then. 😦

Thanks for getting this set up with Nostra, T! Really enjoyed taking part.

6. Dan says:

Hopefully Val Kilmer will be making a small comeback when he re-teams with Warwick Davis (the pair of them having starred together previously in Willow) in the special feature-length episode of Ricky Gervais sit-com Life’s Too Short.

Although his output hasn’t been great in the last few years – in fact I haven’t seen much of it – he was great in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and that wasn’t too long ago… [note to self] …actually 8 years old now… Wow…time flies.