Poll Results: Best Movie President

It was close, but the victor is a recent Oscar winner:

Daniel Day-Lewis [Lincoln]

– Daniel Day-Lewis [Lincoln]: 8 votes
– Peter Sellers [Dr. Strangelove]: 7 votes
– Frank Langella [Frost/Nixon]: 5 votes
– Harrison Ford [Air Force One]: 4 votes
– Bill Pullman [Independence Day]: 4 votes
– Morgan Freeman [Deep Impact]: 3 votes
– Michael Douglas [The American President]: 2 votes
– Kevin Kline [Dave]: 2 votes

The write-ins:
– Terry Alan Crews [Idiocracy]: 1 vote (an inspired pick!)
– Jeff Bridges [The Contender]: 1 vote (probably should have included him in the main list)
– Philip Baker Hall [Secret Honor]: 1 vote (wasn’t aware of this film, sounds like one I should see)
– That dude in Lincoln the vampire slayer?!: 1 vote (hah, well played!)

No major surprise that Daniel Day-Lewis won yet another prestigious award here, though I have to admit I was pulling for Peter Sellers to at least manage a tie. Love the write-in votes this week, especially Terry Crews. Nice work everyone!

This Week’s Poll: Over the weekend, Netflix added a huge collection of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim shows to their Instant Watch service, and this inspired me to stay up way too late on Sunday evening watching cartoons (after catching the season premiere of Game of Thrones, of course). This got me thinking about animated TV shows in general, and naturally a poll came out of this. My question for you is: what is the best cartoon series of all time? So we don’t necessarily get a landslide victory, I am allowing for three votes. What do you think? Is The Simpsons a lock here? Or can there be a March Madness-style upset in the making?

25 thoughts on “Poll Results: Best Movie President

1. sati says:

No Archer in the poll? I think it’s the funniest show when it comes to animated series nowadays. South Park used to be good but the last few seasons were average. So I voted for Archer (other choice), SP and Batman Animated Series (Harley Quinn!).

Hope you enjoyed Game of Thrones premiere!

Ah, yeah I probably should have included Archer. I have only seen a couple episodes myself, but I enjoyed ’em. That’s a show I need to get into. Good call on Batman — I have been watching that series for the first time this year and loving it.

Game of Thrones was great! Seems like it’s going to be a bit of a slow burn this season though…

2. ckckred says:

Nice to see the results!

For me, the best animated TV series is The Simpsons, which is also my favorite show. South Park comes next followed by Beavis and Butt-Head.

• VictorsMovieReviews says:

Heckle & Jeckle is old old school.

As for Voltron & Robotech, they were out in the mid-80s. Both were the first mainstream serial anime series in the US. Robotech was the first cartoon where I saw characters actually die.

They continually release slightly different versions of the Robotech series set. There are probation at least seven issued DVD sets, and maybe one Blu-Ray.

3. Morgan R. Lewis says:

No question in my mind that Looney Tunes is tops. The only thing that even comes close, in my opinion, is Rocky and Bullwinkle, which got my write-in vote. After that, it’s a lot more debatable, but I went with Animaniacs.

The Simpsons is entertaining for a sitcom, but like any other sitcom, the novelty wore off a few years into it. It’s overstayed its welcome. The movie was good because it allowed them to freshen things up, but 20 seasons is about 15 more than it needed. (Note: I’m not one of those saying “It used to be good”; it’s still good. It’s just no longer novel.)

Hmm, interesting case about The Simpsons. Maybe the novelty did indeed wear off, but they had a nice, long run of quality television for at least a decade. It’s kind of amazing how they still managed to sneak in so many subtle but hilarious pop culture references after so many years.

Can’t believe I missed Rocky & Bullwinkle in this poll — that should have been one of my first inclusions.

DDL’s must be becoming numb winning so many awards ๐Ÿ™‚

The Simpsons takes some beating!
    My fav cartoon growing up was The Mysterious Cities of Gold (1982-83). Kind of Indiana Jones with kids. Saw it again 5 years ago and enjoyed it again. A bit childish, but also quite entertaining the adventures they go on.