Poll Results: Best Cartoon Series

We had our best turnout yet in last week’s poll! It was a close one, but the odds-on favorite eventually prevailed:

The Simpsons

– DuckTales: 1 vote
– Family Guy: 1 vote
– Hey Arnold!: 1 vote
– Popeye: 1 vote
– Robotech: 1 vote
– Tom & Jerry: 1 vote

It’s great to see so many shows represented in these results. Ultimately, I think we all knew it would come down to The Simpsons and Looney Tunes, so it’s only fitting that the winner was decided by one vote. Also, an interesting bit of trivia: every single show that I listed in the poll received at least one vote, except for poor G.I. Joe. Wonder if the much-maligned new film has anything to do with that?

This Week’s Poll: As the world continues to mourn the death of the brilliant Roger Ebert, many have taken a look at his past Sight & Sound ballots to see what he considered the greatest films of all time. His most recent list from 2012 shows a very diverse group of films, with picks from the silent era all the way to modern years. My question for you this week: what is your favorite film from Roger Ebert’s most recent list?

Let’s hear your thoughts. What’s your favorite in the new poll? Are you happy that The Simpsons won last week?

35 thoughts on “Poll Results: Best Cartoon Series

1. ckckred says:

I knew The Simpsons would win.

Four of the films on Roger’s top ten would be on mine (Apocalypse Now, 2001, Tokyo Story, and Citizen Kane). My favorite on Roger’s list is my favorite movie: Apocalypse Now.

2. The Heretic says:

Awesome list of cartoons! A lot of favorites on there.

I had to vote for Buster Keaton, especially since I own of the last films he was in, “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”. I love those old silent film comedies.

3. Mr Rumsey says:

It makes total sense that the Simpson’s won!
    Great idea for your next poll. I had a tough time choosing but ended up going for ‘La Dolce Vita’, maybe it’s not as good as a couple of others on there but then they are all so great it’s hard to choose!

4. jackdeth72 says:

Hi, Eric:

‘The Simpsons’ was a shoo-in. With hundreds of great to memorable episodes. Superb lampoon and satire!

‘Looney Toons’ is an American birth right, No matter from what era in history. Absolute masters of animation!

Very pleased that Warner Brothers ‘Batman: The Animated Series’ placed third. It is still my preferred method and medium of getting my ‘Batman/Dark Knight’ fix.

The series took its character and Mythos seriously and did everything right! From the detailing of Gotham City. To incredible voice actors and the minimalist ‘Gothan Noir’ use of shadows to heighten tension and suspense. Of course, have a live orchestra conducted by Shirley Walker doesn’t hurt either!

Jack, I’m right there with ya as far as Batman goes. I have been slowly working my way through the series since I missed it the first time around, and I am loving it so far. Also started Batman Beyond since it’s on Netflix right now, and that’s not too bad either (though nowhere near as good as TAS).

5. moviehodgepodge says:

I LOVE that Ebert added ‘The Tree of Life’ on his list. In that article he was deliberating between that and ‘Synecdoche, New York’ which I also love. All the movies in his top ten are fantastic though. It’s a hard thing to pick ten movies you consider to be the “best.”

6. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

No surprise about The Simpsons taking the win with Looney Tunes closely behind. I’m a bit shocked that Family Guy got only one vote considering how popular it was for a great while and how many, in comparison, South Park received.

As for Ebert’s list, it’s hard to pick a favorite out of the bunch. I’ve only seen eight of the ten of his latest update. My favorite is probably Raging Bull, but it’s an almost impossible choice, which forces me to leave out a bunch of great films. It’s interesting but all of the eight I’ve seen (exceptions being Aguirre and Tokyo Story) have gotten 4.5/5 from me. None of these would probably crack the top 10 in my own list (whenever I get to making that), and none of them would get a perfect 5/5, but all are pretty damn close to my own version of “perfection”.

– N

Agreed on both fronts. I can’t imagine having to whittle down a list of “best” or even “favorite” films to just ten, but Ebert put together a pretty damn good list here. I have seen nine of them, and with the exception of The Tree of Life, I really enjoyed each one. I would like to revisit Malick’s film someday, though.

7. VictorsMovieReviews says:

Great Top 3 for the cartoons, and thanks for mentioning Tom & Jerry and Robotech.

As for my favorite of Ebert’s most current Top 10, I went with the “Apocalypse Now”. I don’t know how many times I have watched that film. It is followed by “Raging Bull” and “Citizen Kane”. I’m not a fan of “Vertigo”, “2001”, nor “The Tree of Life”. I haven’t seen the others.

• hellomimosa says:

Of the choices presented, it’s a toss-up between Family Guy and Avatar: The Last Airbender. But Home Movies, King of the Hill, and The Misadventures of Flapjack are also top-tier for me.

• hellomimosa says:

I know you have a bajillion things to watch, but at some point in your lifetime take a few hours to watch Home Movies. I can’t really think of any other show that parallels it to give you a better idea, but it’s created by Brendan Small (creator of Metalocalypse) and H. Jon Benjamin also does a few voices on it. A trio of kids makes random movies and just get into kid stuff that’s kind of adult; ad their soccer coach is a drunkard, ad they have these classmates named Walter & Perry who are…oh boy. It’s subtle humor, but still very awesome–especially the later seasons.