Poll Results: Favorite Video Game Era

If ever there were a poll to warrant a tie, it’s this one:

n64ps1
ps3xbox-360

– 32 & 64-Bit: 4 votes
– Current Generation: 4 votes
– 8-Bit: 3 votes
– 16-Bit: 3 votes
– 128-Bit: 2 votes
– Early Arcade: 1 vote
– First Generation: 0 votes
– Second Generation: 0 votes

Honestly, I wouldn’t have been surprised if we had a four-way tie for this one. There are so many great games from *every* era, and it really is hard to pick just one favorite. It’s interesting that the current console generation ended up in a tie for first — hopefully the next batch of systems is even better.

This Week’s Poll: Last week, John from the excellent movie blog, The Droid You’re Looking For, shared a post in which he ranked the movie decades from best-to-worst. This question seemed like an excellent followup to last week’s poll about video game eras. So, movie lovers, what is your favorite movie decade? Do you agree with John in saying that the 70s are best? Are you more of a silent era fan? How about the great film noirs from the 40s and 50s? Let’s hear your thoughts!

Have a great week, folks!

22 thoughts on “Poll Results: Favorite Video Game Era

1. keith7198 says:

This is a cool discussion. My gaming began with the Atari 2600. My brother and I had over 80 games and it was my full baptism into video gaming. I was devastated by the video game crash but uplifted when the Nintendo entertainment system hit stores. Since then I’ve had a Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, PlayStation One, Two, Three, TurboGrafx 16, Sega CD, GameBoy, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64,and of course PC. So what’s my favorite? I love them all!

2. VictorsMovieReviews says:

Tough one. I was going to go with the 70s, but ultimately I’m an 80s child. It’s when I started going to the theatres and when I fell in love with movies. The 70s are a close second. I love their grittiness, and how the filmmakers didn’t feel the need to have a happy ending.

Good question.

3. Morgan R. Lewis says:

I’m an 80s kid. I don’t know if one decade or another is truly better in terms of overall quality, but that’s the decade that fits in most with my sensibilities, because that’s when my sensibilities were formed.

4. jackdeth72 says:

Hi, Eric:

I missed the home gaming entertainment systems by a few years.

Though John’s critique on decade of films rawks!!!

The 70s was the last great decade for films.

That’s a bold statement, Jack, but I would have a hard time arguing against it. A lot of my favorite films came from the 70s, and even though there have been a lot of great films since then, many of them owe some debt to that era.

5. Jules M. says:

This is a really tough one. My natural inclination is towards the 40s since that was really the golden age of the ‘silver screen’ b&w movies for me, but, aside from the 10s and 20s (and that’s purely due to my not having had enough exposure to either decade’s material aside from a scant few silent movies late night on TCM) I could probably talk myself into voting for just about any decade really.

Hmmm, this is a VERY tough poll Eric. I dunno, it’s a tossup between the 90s and 2000s I guess, and for classics, the 40s and 50s as those are Gregory Peck’s era, ahah.