Poll Results: Most Anticipated Summer Blockbuster

With so many blockbusters this summer, it’s no surprise that this was a close race:

The Great Gatsby

– The Great Gatsby: 7 votes
– The World’s End: 6 votes
– Man of Steel: 5 votes
– Pacific Rim: 4 votes
– Star Trek Into Darkness: 3 votes
– Kick-Ass 2: 2 votes
– The Wolverine: 2 votes
– Fast & Furious 6: 1 vote

The write-ins:
– Only God Forgives: 2 votes (great choice)
– Before Midnight: 1 vote (my most anticipated film as well, but I would be hard-pressed to call this a “blockbuster”)

So, for those who were looking forward to The Great Gatsby, did the movie live up to your expectations? The reviews are all over the place… what did you think of it? Feel free to link to your review if you have one.

This Week’s Poll: Since the hockey and basketball seasons are winding down (GO WINGS!), the focus of the sporting world is about to shift almost entirely to baseball. This is a sport that has been covered quite a bit in film, and there are several titles that are enjoyable even to non-fans. This week’s poll is a pick two: What is your favorite baseball movie? Do you prefer modern picks such as 42 or Moneyball? Do you get nostalgic about The Sandlot? Do you still fire up Bull Durham for every Opening Day? Let’s hear your thoughts!

Have a great week, folks!

44 thoughts on “Poll Results: Most Anticipated Summer Blockbuster

1. ckckred says:

I picked Moneyball and The Bad News Bears (the original one). Moneyball was one of my favorites of 2011 and I used to watch The Bad News Bears all the time.

2. sati says:

I’m not that familiar with baseball movies so I only voted for Moneyball. It’s actually one of my all time favorite films, I loved it!

Nice! I was worried that a movie based on a book about baseball statistics wouldn’t translate well to the big screen, but it seems to have universal appeal. Bennett Miller did a great job with that film.

Nice, my two picks top the poll! Hoping to see Gatsby soon.
    Not really into baseball at all, though I did like The Sandlot. Mainly because it took me back to being a kid again.

4. jackdeth72 says:

Hi, Eric:

I’m going with John Sayles’ superb period period piece ‘Eight Men Out’. And a little 1950s Ray Milland Sci-Fi/light comedy ‘It Happens Every Spring’.

Where Milland plays an egg headish scientist who creates a serum that whatever he smears it on allergic to wood. And becomes a world class, no hit baseball pitcher on a minor league team.

5. sanclementejedi says:

Eric, I wonder how those folks feel now after getting to check out Gatsby?

I went with The Natural, although I just watched the Sandlot for the first time and that was a really well done kids film.

Fear Strikes Out (1957) is a good baseball movie with Anthony Perkins playing Red Sox outfielder Jimmy Piersall as he battles mental illness.

6. John says:

Eight Men Out, 61*, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, and maaaaaaaybe Major League or A League of Their Own.

That is the only correct order, by the way.

7. Jules M. says:

I could list easily ten or more favs in the baseball genre but I think my two all time picks would have to be 61, the great little Hbo movie by Billy Crystal and Field of Dreams. Ending gets me everytime.

8. Jules M. says:

Also the movies moneyball and trouble w the curve make excellent movies to watch back to back as the driving themes of both are kind of antithetical to one another.

I haven’t seen Trouble With the Curve, but I would agree with you based on what I’ve heard about it. I should probably check it out, though I am concerned that it will be too “Hollywood-ized” for my liking.

• Jules M. says:

Your concerns are valid there, there’s lots of standard hollywood plot turns you’ll see coming a mile away, but its decent enough acting wise I thought. It is basically a family friendly version of Gran Torino with baseball as the backdrop instead of gang violence… I reviewed it a few months back on TVE.

9. Aislynn says:

Moneyball is great, Sandlot brings back memories–though it’s set in a time long before I was born, Field of Dreams is excellent. I never considered myself much of a “sports movie” fan, but as I look at my shelves I’m noticing the above as well as movies like Any Given Sunday. I guess they creep up on ya.

Hah, I know what you mean. So many of those are just great films that happen to be about sports or use the subject as a backdrop. I was surprised at how universally appealing Moneyball turned out — I mean, it was based on a book that catered toward baseball stat junkies. Not exactly a large audience. 😀