The Best of 2013 in Movies, Video Games and Music — So Far

It’s hard to believe that 2013 is already halfway over. It has been a bit of a slow year for movies so far (as expected), but there have been huge breakthroughs in the gaming and music scenes. Here are my favorites so far:

MOVIES

This is the End [2013]
5) This Is the End
The funniest movie (and biggest surprise) of the year, hands down.

Stoker [2013]
4) Stoker
Business as usual for Chan-wook Park’s first English language film.

Mud [2013]
3) Mud
Jeff Nichols is 3-for-3 in my book. This is his most likable film yet.

The Place Beyond the Pines [2013]
2) The Place Beyond the Pines
This ambitious, sprawling epic is one film I won’t be forgetting anytime soon.

Before Midnight [2013]
1) Before Midnight
Could it be anything else? It’s so great to see Celine and Jesse once again, warts and all.

VIDEO GAMES

Hotline Miami [PS Vita, 2013]
5) Hotline Miami [PS Vita/PS3]
Only listing this at #5 since it is a port of a 2012 title, but this ultra-violent game is even more addictive on the Vita.

Guacamelee! [PS Vita/PS3]
4) Guacamelee! [PS Vita/PS3]
A Metroidvania Lucha Libre-themed adventure from the makers of Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack — it’s as good as it sounds.

Tomb Raider [Xbox 360]
3) Tomb Raider [Xbox 360/PS3]
I was never excited about the Tomb Raider series before, but this reboot hit all the right notes.

Bioshock Infinite [Xbox 360, 2013]
2) Bioshock Infinite [Xbox 360/PS3/PC]
I got goosebumps the first time I stepped foot on the city in the clouds, Columbia, and the experience never let up from there.

The Last of Us [PS3]
1) The Last of Us [PS3]
Has there been a more immersive atmosphere in a video game? This will serve as a gaming benchmark for years to come.

MUSIC

5) Mikal Cronin “MCII”

4) Kanye West “Yeezus”

3) Boards of Canada “Tomorrow’s Harvest”

2) Daft Punk “Random Access Memories”

1) The National “Trouble Will Find Me”

What are your favorites so far this year?

30 thoughts on “The Best of 2013 in Movies, Video Games and Music — So Far

1. ckckred says:

Nice list. My pick for the best movie of 2013 would be Before Midnight as well and Mud and This Is The End are also be in my top five thus far.

2. keith7198 says:

Good stuff. Mud for me so far. Before Midnight may be my biggest disappointment of the year (even though I really liked it).

I also notice a very PS3 heavy selection of games. Do I sense a slight preference? 😉

Haha — I noticed the heavy emphasis on Playstation when I was putting this list together, too. Purely coincidental, though I do find it interesting since the 360 is usually my go-to system. Major props to Sony for getting some high quality exclusives lately.

3. Paul Bowler says:

Great post, lots of great films, games, and music listed. I’ve been enjoying playing The Last of Us, its a really good game, brilliant story and graphics. Before Midnight and Mud were really good as well.

All films I want to see and yet to see! Hoping to get round to them soon. Not many cinema releases have jumped out at me so far this year. That’s a bit sad!

Have heard great things about Hotline Miami. I need to get on one of those humble bundles!

Jaina, I know exactly what you mean about lack of gripping cinema releases. I have found solace in the local indie theater — I have avoided most of the major blockbusters so far.

Hotline Miami is terrific! I know it was on a Humble Indie Bundle recently, but it does go on sale regularly. I’ve seen it going for $5 or less. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was another sale when the sequel is released later this year.

5. Terry Malloy's Pigeon Coop says:

Some great choices here Eric. Before Midnight is my favourite film of the year too and I bloody lived The Last of Us. I finished it a couple of days ago and I just didn’t want it to end. As for music I’m glad you’ve given Random Access Memories some love. It’s taken some flak but I like it.

6. ninvoid99 says:

I don’t do video games as I don’t really play them nor own any game consoles. In films, here’s my list of 2013 film releases that I’ve seen so far. In music, here’s that list.

7. jackdeth72 says:

Hi, Eric:

All hail Guacamelee! (Great name!)

Great catches on your top five films!

‘The Last of Us’ looks like a blending of Sy~Fy’s ‘Defiance’ and a huge dose of the mood and claustrophobia of Romero’s ‘The Night of the Living Dead’ on a much larger and grittier scale.

Hi Jack, interesting that you point out Defiance. I’ve heard great things about the video game based on that show and would love to pick it up at some point. As for The Last of Us, good call on the Romero influence! It has shades of his films, and the writing is heavily influenced by Cormac McCarthy. It’s a hell of a game.

Solid top 5s! I haven’t seen too many 2013 films yet, these are a few new releases I liked, in random order:
    The Place Beyond The Pines, Laurence Anyways,The Hunt, Arbitrage, What Richard Did, Paradise: Love

Have you had a chance to see Frances Ha? I heard it’s really good.
    Nice pick from Boards of Canada album !

Heh, the only film I have seen from your list is TPBTP. Been meaning to see The Hunt though — heard nothing but great things about that.

I haven’t had the chance to see Frances Ha yet. It’s looking like I’ll have to wait for the DVD.

9. Nostra says:

Nice to see some love for Kanye. I know a lot of people didn’t give it a chance because it was so different, but personally I think it is a great album. I play it more than I do Magna Carta.

Looking forward to playing Bioshock Infinite. Will buy it once I finish up some other games (and the price has dropped a bit more)

Yeah, Yeezus seems to be a pretty divisive album. I haven’t heard Magna Carta yet, but I’ve never been a huge Jay-Z fan.

I’ve started a second playthrough of Bioshock Infinite — it’s so good. Really need to write up a full proper review on it.

10. Jules M. says:

I really need to catch up on my 2013 movies, Before Midnight is the only one I’ve seen so far on that list.. spent most of this year catching up on stuff I should have saw years ago (Just watched Traffic and Dark City last night for example…) All the rest of this list is going (or was already) going on my list though.