Poll Results: Favorite Grand Theft Auto Game

– Vice City: 5 votes
– GTA III: 3 votes
– San Andreas: 3 votes
– GTA 1: 2 votes
– GTA IV: 1 vote
– Chinatown Wars: 1 vote

Once again, Tommy Vercetti is on top of the world. Vice City would get my vote as well — even though most GTA games are quite good, nothing beats the 80s Scarface-esque rise-to-fame. Hell, I still own the box set for the game’s soundtrack. Interesting to see the 2D top-down PS1 original snag a couple votes, twice as many as the massively popular GTA IV.

This Week’s Poll: This past weekend saw the release of not one, but TWO new films related to drinking: The World’s End and Drinking Buddies. While both of these take the comedic route, I opted for a more serious question this week. Pick Two: What is the best movie about alcoholism? I drew up a preliminary list of classics and modern takes alike, but please let me know if I am missing any important candidates.

Have a great week, folks!

13 thoughts on “Poll Results: Favorite Grand Theft Auto Game

1. Paul Bowler says:

Great poll results, I thought GTA Vice City would get the top spot, although my favourite GTA game is San Andreas, that game was huge. GTA III is still a really good game as well, although it looks very basic now. I must admit I was a little underwhelmed by GTA IV, it was ok, but the story wasn’t a patch on any of its predecessors.

I thought San Andreas would have a stronger showing myself. I really enjoyed that one back in the day, but at the same time it felt almost *too* big. I remember getting frustrated with missions that forced you to travel all the way across its huge map.

• Paul Bowler says:

Yeah, San Andreas was a really big game, there was so much to do in it. It was a little overwhelming when you started playing, compared to GTA III & Vice City, and the story was a very good. Still think its one of the most accomplished games in the series. GTA IV was very disappointing, it looked amazing, but the story just wasn’t as good. High hopes for GTA V :O)

2. bm23reviews says:

For me GTA 3 is the best of the series, it was an incredible jump in gaming and its significance for me is still felt. Thought GTA 4 was very poor and didn’t even come close to the quality of the three GTA 3 games.

I went for the first GTA. Love that style of game. Sure it’s evolved, but had hours of fun with that.

I haven’t seen any of the films in this week’s poll. Well, except for Flight. And I can’t really just vote for it because it’s the only one I’ve seen! O_O

I’m afraid I can’t participate in this past poll Eric, but I remember my late brother LOVED playing Grand Theft Auto. As for this week’s poll, there are still so many I haven’t seen yet 😦

5. jackdeth72 says:

Hi, Eric:

Interesting poll, though I’m not much of a GTA fan.

For the Alcoholism Film Poll. I’m going with ‘Days of Wine And Roses’ and opting for an “Other”. Since ‘Leaving Las Vegas” is flawed in its execution.

Having had relatives who were alcoholic. Those that are stick with what they like. Be it beer, wine or alcohol. There is no variety as the “Supermarket Sweep” scene with Nicholas Cage depicted.

Hence, I’m going with ‘Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle’ and Jennifer Jason Leigh’s bravura performance as erudite, poetic and scathing critic. And closet lush.

Hi Jack, was hoping you would chime in. That’s a good point about the supermarket scene in Leaving Las Vegas — perhaps not that realistic, but memorable no doubt. Thanks for the heads up on Mrs. Parker & the Vicious Circle, that’s one I have never heard of.

Movies about alcoholism, I’m going with Leaving Las Vegas and Days of Wines and Roses, great perfomances.
    My own top 10 might include: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, or Withnail and I.