Poll Results: Favorite Alfonso Cuarón Film

Children of Men

– Children of Men: 10 votes
– Gravity: 3 votes
– Y Tu Mamá También: 3 votes
– Great Expectations: 2 votes
– Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 2 votes

This one was never in doubt. Children of Men is considered to be a modern classic by many, and it held the lead the entire time. I might have to ask the same question in the future — perhaps Gravity can make its way up to #1?

This Week’s Poll: Let’s go the horror route this week. Last year during October I asked several horror-themed polls, but there was one I neglected: what is your favorite type of horror film? I realize this is a pretty broad question, and many films can fit into multiple genres, but think about what you tend to gravitate toward in general. Are you a fan of the long-running slasher series like Halloween and Friday the 13th? Do you prefer more psychological films like The Shining or Rosemary’s Baby? Feel free to add in a different subgenre that I might have missed as well.

16 thoughts on “Poll Results: Favorite Alfonso Cuarón Film

1. ckckred says:

I saw Gravity yesterday and now I’m questioning whether that or Children of Men is better. Phenomenal film.

I’m a big fan of psychological horror since I like how most of them keep an uneasy suspenseful mood instead of just blood and guts.

Wow, good stuff. Glad you enjoyed Gravity so much.

I get where you’re coming from with psychological horror. I like most genres of horror, but it’s nice to go with something a little more cerebral from time to time.

Good comedy horrors are rare, but when they come along and are good, they are so VERY good – Shaun of the Dead, Tucker & Dale, Cabin in the Woods,

Second one from me is psychological horror. I’m not scared by gore or jumps or anything like that, but something that can make my brain think “woah”… gets my vote.

3. sati says:

That’s a genious poll this week – very difficult, since each horror subgenre is kinda my favorite, but if I had to chose I’d go with psychological.

4. canyoutellastory says:

I had no idea Cuarón directed the 1998 film version of my favourite novel. I didn’t love the adaptation (there are better) but I appreciated the emotion and psychology invested in it. Y tu mama tambien might be my favourite film but Children of Men is a worthy winner.

5. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

Children of Men deserves top honors for sure. One of the few films I rate 5/5. Gravity is pretty damn good, but not quite to the same level.
    Very interesting choice for next week’s poll. I think your subgenres cover pretty much anything that may be considered horror. I’m going with psychological!

I need to revisit Children of Men. I remember really liking it when I saw it years ago, but it didn’t connect with me quite as much as it seems to have for so many others.

Agreed on Gravity. I really enjoyed it, but I’m kind of surprised at the near unanimous praise it’s getting.