Top 10 Video Games of 2013

Last year was another terrific one for gaming, as no less than three games received perfect scores from me. It was another strong year for indies as well, especially on the PC and PS Vita. There were still plenty of titles that I didn’t get to play (Assassin’s Creed IV, Saints Row IV, XCom: Enemy Within, and pretty much every Nintendo game), so this may have to be updated at some point. For now, here are my top 10 video games of 2013:

Honorable mentions: Tomb Raider, BattleBlock Theater, The Stanley Parable, Killzone: Mercenary, Muramasa Rebirth

#10 – Rogue Legacy
#3 – Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto V [Xbox 360]
#2 – Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock Infinite [Xbox 360, 2013]
#1 – The Last of Us
The Last of Us [PS3]

What was your favorite game of 2013?

24 thoughts on “Top 10 Video Games of 2013

1. unchartedframeofmind says:

I played The Last of US, Bioshock Infinite, and Grand Theft Auto V. They were great games! I just downloaded Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Can’t wait to have time to play it.

2. Paul Bowler says:

I’m still playing GTA V, its really good. I still haven’t got around to playing Bioshock Infinite though, must get that. The Last of Us was my fave game as well, its was such a moving story. Don’t think I have ever become so invested in a games characters in quite the way I did during that game. Brilliant choices! Just wish I had more time to play Playstation.

Yeah, I think The Last of Us is my favorite game of the entire generation, not just this year. Hell of a way to go out on the PS3 for Naughty Dog.

Hope you enjoy Bioshock Infinite! One good thing about waiting so long is now it’s dirt cheap 😀

• Paul Bowler says:

Yes, that’s a good point, hope to get Boishock Infinite soon. I’m still playing GTA V, so think this will be the next game I get. The Last of Us was a brilliant game, one of the very best. I also enjoyed Skyrim, that game was epic.

3. John says:

I’m digging the large image, simple layout of this entry. BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us are definitely placed correctly, but I can’t comment much else besides saying I really want to play Gone Home and Rogue Legacy.

Thanks man. I believe Rogue Legacy is heading to PS3/Vita this year, so that’ll be another way to play it. Gone Home is a really cool experience. I can’t think of another game that has you piece together the plot points yourself the way that one did.

4. J.R. Littlejohn says:

Nice list! I haven’t gotten a chance to play any of these yet. I’m still stuck in 2012. I only recently finished Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect is my favorite series, and i’m probably one of the only people who actually likes the ending. I thought I would hate it, so I put it off. And it totally killed me up until the moment where Shepard actually jumped into the thing then I was just pumped and like, yeah man. I just saved the galaxy. I’m not just Shepard anymore. I’m THE Shepard.

Thanks! You know, I didn’t mind Mass Effect 3’s ending either. I was a little hesitant to play ME3, too, because of the backlash, but I ended up loving it almost as much as ME2. Such a great series from beginning to end.

• J.R. Littlejohn says:

Yes! ME3 is probably my favorite. ME2 has my favorite character development and game play. And I will forever love ME1. I’m very interested to see where they plan to go next with the series. I don’t think we need another game, but I’m certainly not complaining.

5. GregHorrorShow says:

Love the new look of the site sir! Also, great list. In agreement with many and the positive thing for me is some of these (Rogue Legacy/Outlast) I’m yet to play but they’re hitting PS4/Vita so I have some amazing games to play this year as well. And I need to pick up Dragon’s Crown but I can’t stop playing damn Persona 4 Golden!!! 2nd Playthrough for me at the moment.

Thanks! I can’t wait for Rogue Legacy to hit the Vita — that one will be such a perfect fit for the handheld. Also can’t blame you for getting hooked on Persona 4 Golden. I tend to go for days playing nothing but that at a time. So addictive.

6. Gary Smith says:

Great list. Definitely agree about #1. Loved BioShock Infinite, but I’d have it at 4 behind Assassin’s Creed 4 (3) and GTAV (2).

Brothers is an amazing little game too, so happy to see it on the list. Very short, but a great story (also very easy to get 100% on).