Top 10 Albums of 2013

Last year was full of unexpected comebacks in the music scene — Daft Punk, Boards of Canada and My Bloody Valentine all put out new material for the first time in years — and it resulted in one of the best years in some time. Here are my personal favorites:

Honorable Mentions: Bonobo – The North Borders, Gold Panda – Half of Where You Live, Mayer Hawthorne – Where Does This Door Go

10) !!! – Thr!!!er
3) Disclosure – Settle
Disclosure - Settle
2) The National – Trouble Will Find Me
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
1) Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Individual tracks from each album:
!!! – “Slyd
Moderat – “Versions
Kanye West – “Blood on the Leaves
Boards of Canada – “Jacquard Causeway
Fuck Buttons – “Brainfreeze
The Field – “Cupid’s Head
Arcade Fire – “Here Comes the Night Time
Disclosure – “White Noise
The National – “Don’t Swallow the Cap
Daft Punk – “Lose Yourself to Dance

For once, I actually agree with the Grammys. How about you? What are your favorite albums from last year?

21 thoughts on “Top 10 Albums of 2013

1. Dan Heaton says:

I like the Daft Punk album, but it’s sort of hit-and-miss for me with each song. I didn’t put together a list because I’m still catching up with a lot from 2013. I like Reflektor more than The Suburbs and think it’s pretty strong, especially the first half. The National’s new album is also very good, and Yo La Tengo’s Fade would definitely be up there too.

I really need to listen to Yo La Tengo’s latest album. I love “Ohm” but haven’t checked out the rest. Great to hear you are a fan of Reflektor. I’m surprised at some of the backlash that one has been getting lately. I might give it the edge over The Suburbs as well.

2. C. T. Murphy says:

JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound’s ‘Howl’, Janelle Monae’s ‘The Electric Lady’, Dark Rooms’ ‘Dark Rooms’, Lorde’s ‘Royals’ were the ones I listened to the most.

I expected to see The National on there πŸ™‚ The more I listen to Random Access Memories, the more I regret not having it as my no 1(it was my no 2 album). A modern classic for sure.

Disclosure album, I love the track Help Me Lose My Mind [feat. London Grammar]
    Interestingly, I’ve never heard of your no 5 and no 10 choices.

I don’t really keep up with contemporary music, as I mostly listen to classical radio or soundtrack. I think the only newish artists I really like are Bruno Mars and Lana Del Rey, ahah. Oh I quite Daft Punk music from what I heard in the TRON Legacy soundtrack πŸ˜€

Oh yeah, the TRON Legacy soundtrack is quite good. To be honest, it was the only thing I liked about the movie. πŸ˜€ Daft Punk’s new album is completely different though. It’s basically a throwback to the disco and funk days of the 70s. It works better than I could have imagined.

5. keith7198 says:

This will be funny – I pretty much despise “The Wolf of Wall Street” (at what I was able to sit through) and I loved “Upstream Color”. Those movies are funny things, aren’t they? πŸ˜‰

6. Victor De Leon says:

Great list! I have most of these. Nice to see Arcade Fire up there. Daft Punk especially! I just listened to Tron Legacy the other night. That score just rules πŸ™‚