Blogathon: The Ten Most Iconic Female Movie Characters

Last month, I took part in the Ten Most Iconic Movie Characters blogathon. Now a new spin-off of this relay race is making its way through the blogosphere, this time focusing on female movie characters only. Here are the details:

A list of 10 iconic female movie characters has been made. That list will be assigned to another blogger who can then change it by removing one character (describing why they think she should not be on the list) and replacing it with another one (also with motivation) and hand over the baton to another blogger. Once assigned, that blogger will have to put his/her post up within a week. If this is not the case the blogger who assigned it has to reassign it to another blogger. After you have posted your update leave the link in the comments below and I will make sure it gets added to the overview post.

I was given the baton by Ruth from FlixChatter. Here’s the list of those who have participated so far:

Dell On Movies
My Filmviews
Time Well Spent
FlixChatter
The Warning Sign

And here’s the current list of characters:

Ellen Ripley

Lisbeth Salander

Mrs. Robinson

Mrs. Robinson

Who I’m removing:

Foxy Brown

Foxy Brown

I really hate to remove Foxy because I love both the character and the film in which she stars, but I’m not sure she is even Pam Grier’s most iconic character (Coffy gets the nod in my book). This is a tough one, but the rules call for a change to be made.

Who I’m adding:

The Bride

The Bride

All it takes is one look at The Bride’s picture to recognize who she is. With Kill Bill 1 & 2, Uma Thurman portrayed one of the most badass characters in modern cinema, playing an assassin who refuses to be stopped on her quest for revenge. Need further proof? Watch this clip. THIS is how you make an entrance:

Now I am passing the baton to Dan from Public Transportation Snob.

18 thoughts on “Blogathon: The Ten Most Iconic Female Movie Characters

1. Brittani says:

The Bride is a good choice! I love her. I would’ve left Foxy in there and taken out Scarlett, just because I’m bias. lol

2. Wendell says:

Ugh! You got me where it hurts by taking out Foxy. I would argue that Coffy is Pam Grier’s best character and movie (aside from Jackie Brown), but for whatever reason Foxy is the more known and iconic one. All that said, The Bride is a great choice. Thanks for participating.

I really didn’t want to remove Foxy, but someone had to go. : I would love to see another Grier character re-enter the list at some point. Thanks for starting this blogathon — it was fun putting this post together!

I was considering The Bride as well Eric, so yeah definitely iconic! I haven’t seen Grier as Foxy Brown though I know who she is, but I guess The Bride is perhaps more iconic.

The Bride was my second choice. Definitely a strong, iconic female character. Feel like this blogathon is just going to get tougher and tougher.

5. The Blog of Big Ideas says:

I’m actually not a fan of Foxy, so I second your choice to remove her. Though I’m not sure Uma Thurman deserves a spot in this list, I will say I do love her character and you’re right to point out how she may be one of the most iconic of the last 20 years. My only thought would be to take a look at some great female characters of the past like Regan MacNeil in the Exorcist, Blanche DuBois in a Streetcar Named Desire, Isla in Casablanca, the original Carrie, Maria von Trapp from Little House on the Prairie and several others, Cleopatra, and several others.